Monday, September 01, 2008

Hurricane Gustav & the Ogre

So, the Ogre is someone I know because I started reading about his adventures in NOLA during Hurricane Katrina. He is, as my boys would say "mad crazy". Eventually we got to be such good friends that I actually went down to NOLA for a long weekend and will likely go again someday.

So clearly I knew that he would stay in NOLA, or more specifically the shipyard in the event of a hurricane. We talked last weekend about whichever one was breezing through at the time. It turned out to be no big deal.

However, Gustav did seem to be a bit more of a threat.

So I called last night and got voice mail.

"I know you are bad at returning phone calls in a timely manner. I know you are really busy lashing down ships. But if you don't call and let me know that you are ok.....I swear I will get on a plane and come down there just to smack you!"

No call yet. Bastid!

Well, in the words of W.H. Auden (I was thinking of Auden anyway because of the date)
The Ogre does what ogres can,
Deeds quite impossible for Man,
But one prize is beyond his reach,
The Ogre cannot master Speech.
About a subjugated plain,
Among its desperate and slain,
The Ogre stalks with hands on hips
While drivel gushes from his lips.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better hold on to your hat Miss Maggie.

Sure looks like Hannah, after a trek up through the Mid Atlantic, may be paying you folks in Bean Town a little visit...

sid

BostonMaggie said...

Ahhh, but Sid, hurricanes in Boston are nothing like hurricanes down south. We lose power for a bit, we clean up the tree limbs, we move on.