Friday, September 26, 2008

The Beauty Of A Love Letter

I was reading an online discussion of love letters and letter writing in general. Someone wrote me a letter recently saying that emails and IMs were ok, but there was nothing like a letter received in the mail. Those two things got me to thinking of my favorite love letters....the letters between John and Abigail Adams. If you should have an Inclination to write to Cadiz, for any Thing by any Vessell going there, Mr. Robert Montgomery, who is settled there I fancy would chearfully send it you, and draw upon me in Paris for his Pay. If any Vessell should go to Corunna, Mr. Michael Lagoanere would do the same, but this is not a likely Way.

I shall write as often as possible: but Conveyances will be very rare, I fear.

I am as I ever was and ever shall be Yours, Yours, Yours.

2 comments:

Stella by Starlight said...

I don't have a letter to share, but I will share a love poem from my favorite author, if you don't mind:

Stella's Birth-Day
MARCH 13, 1718-19

Stella this day is thirty-four,
(We shan't dispute a year or more:)
However, Stella, be not troubled,
Although thy size and years are doubled
Since first I saw thee at sixteen,
The brightest virgin on the green;
So little is thy form declined;
Made up so largely in thy mind.


O, would it please the gods to split
Thy beauty, size, and years, and wit!
No age could furnish out a pair
Of nymphs so graceful, wise, and fair;
With half the lustre of your eyes,
With half your wit, your years, and size.
And then, before it grew too late,
How should I beg of gentle fate,
(That either nymph might have her swain,)
To split my worship too in twain.


~~Jonathan Swift (1667-1745)

Anonymous said...

When Chris was deployed in '06, he was excited to write letters to me and to receive them from me. I asked, "But you'll have email, right?" He said yes, but there's nothing like the written word. This is a man who had deployed previously as a Marine historian after all. I have a huge stack of letters (as does he) from that deployment and I'll cherish them forever.