Monday, July 28, 2008

Another Body Blow

My brother Frankie called. "What's going on with you?" He already sounded upset. My message had only been "Hi, it's me, call me back." No hints. No tone. So I guessed someone had said something. I laughed and asked "Why? What have you heard?" He told me that his wife had called from work. So I ran through all my facts and my funny jokes and made him laugh. He said I seemed really calm about it. I told him that was because the hard part was telling people.

I explained that I have to go to a wake tonight and one of my very best friends from high school will be there......so I will say "Hey, listen......you are crying anyway........"

He was fine with being the last to know. I teased him about my bedroom that he is supposed to come and drywall.

Then I asked him the part I was afraid to ask. Had our father called Frank's wife? No My father had come by and told her. She's the manager of the local supermarket near their house. I got all choked up as I pictured my Dad walking into the supermarket and my sister-in-law asking how things were....................
So I choked out "Was he ok?" Frankie said yes.

I want to call and tell them I am sorry.

No comments: