Friday, September 29, 2006

Tonight's Lecture

Popped into Harvard Square tonight for Louise Richardson discussing her book "What Terrorists Want (Understanding The Enemy, Containing The Threat)". She was appearing at the Harvard Book Store. I, of course, found the whole discussion hugely interesting even though there was the usual Bush bashing. She only veered off into Wonderland once or twice. The most obvious one was when she was asked what she would ave recommended had Bush come to her just after 9/11. Ms. Richardson (an Irish national who now lives in Cambridge, stated that she would have recommended going to the international community, setting up a tribunal of Islamic judges and getting our Middle Eastern allies to pressure the Taliban to turn Al Quaeda over to the tribunal. She readily acknowledged that there was little chance the Taliban would have cooperated. Still much of what she had to say about the myths surrounding terrorism were points I agreed with. Also, the book is not exclusively about Islamic terrorists. I also favor her recoomended appropach of more intelligence vice military might.

I was surprised there weren't more people buying the book. There were probably 50 or more people there and I would guess fewer than half got the book. Buying books there enables the Harvard Bookstore to continue such events. You have to really peeve me to keep me from buying the book.

When it was my turn to have my book signed, Ms. Richardson asked if she should personalize it. I said she could make it out to "the only Republican in the room". She laughed, as did the two girls from the Harvard Bookstore. Then I said I wasn't actually the only one, there was a man with very pressed pants and highly polished black shoes and his question had reflected my attitude. I said I thought I could spot "my own kind". She inscribed it "To one of the few Republicans in the room", Louise Richardson. LOL

I lucked into an on street parking spot, saving parking garage money, so I was in a great mood. I picked up Jen from her appointment and we headed off to dinner. I only got halfway through with my entree before I called it quits. I figured what was left would make a good lunch. A few minutes after I put down my knife and fork, Jen stabs my chicken, takes it to her plate and begins eating it. She laughs and says "You weren't planning on taking this, were you?". Guess not.

Concrete Bob has a big weekend planned and I am jealous.

Now, it's off to bed.......work tomorrow.

No comments: