Friday, August 01, 2008

Even Good Stress Can Be Tough

It is the understatement of my life to say that the last six weeks have been enormously stressful.

Even the good parts have a way of causing stress, lol. The trip on the Kearsarge. Our long weekend with Grace at her cottage comes on the heels of my return. My brother Frank wants to drywall my room while I am gone.....am I ready.....NO! These are all good things that I am looking forward to.......but packing......getting ready........it's all stressful.

When I first learned that I was going to have a chance to travel on a Navy ship....I went out and read about the ship. I sent an email out to my Navy coterie for advice........SHOWER SHOES was the nearly universal response. Actually I got tons of great feedback. One of my favorite suggestions was to get a wheelbook. I mentioned it to SouthieBoy and he said he'd take care of it.

Then all this cancer chaos. I forgot all about it until the other day. Needless to say a wheelbook has been the last thing on Tom's mind. I couldn't figure out where I'd get one.

Then I got an email from the Commander of the USS Constitution on another matter. He had no parties for me to crash........bummer. So I asked him where I could get a wheelbook. He emailed back quizzically "What you mean like the little green flip-top thingies that fit in every naval officer's shirt pocket?" I explained that all the cool kids were going to have them and I wanted one too.

He emailed me this morning "I've got you covered."

Thanks Commander!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK - that's all just TOO cool.

Cargosquid said...

If they ask you to bring Gig Line, or a BT Punch,laugh at them. Gig line is the line made by the buttons and zipper on your shirt and pant. BT Punch: Punch from Boiler Tech.
Volunteer for the Mail Buoy watch though, its lots of fun....
Don't get wet by the Prop Wash.
Fair Winds and Following seas.

Anonymous said...

Strangely enough, I would venture a guess that the stresses you are feeling from your preps for sea are almost universal to every sailor in the USN. I am looking forward to your thoughts on your haze gray and underway experience. I took my dad on a Tiger cruise on an FFG. He's worked with DoD his entire life as a contractor. He was gracious enough to stand a midwatch and still get up for the 0500 sea and anchor detail the next day. For a relative newbie being on a Navy ship appears to have made quite an impression on him.

WARNING...UNSOLICITED ADVICE SECTION (take it for what you paid for it): Record your thoughts and reactions for the American people. My dad's final comment to me on the subject was that he thought we would live in a better country if everyone had the opportunity to experience what you have been (dare I say) blessed to experience. Get a good running mate and participate in what they do. Ask to con the ship. Stand a midwatch. Follow the sounding and security watch during one round (at least you'll encourage him/her actually go to all the places that they are supposed to go). Take in a sunset and sunrise on the signal bridge. The solitude of being at sea (even with 800 people on a little floating slice of America was always welcome for me). Look at the stars when you’re out away from land (limited light pollution makes this a stunning sight to take in). Try the elliptical machine when the sea state gets a little lively. Enjoy your time, and remember that seasickness is only a physical manifestation of unresolved fear. If you are not seasick, you are truly a fearless person.

V/R,

B. Walthrop

PS - There is no mail buoy, and definitely don't sign up to bl*w the DCA system.

FbL said...

Record your thoughts and reactions for the American people. My dad's final comment to me on the subject was that he thought we would live in a better country if everyone had the opportunity to experience what you have been (dare I say) blessed to experience.

I had a similar thought during my DV embark. It truly is a rare privilege and it should be shared as much as possible.