Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Crossposted From The Castle

Kat is discussing a particular question from the Saddleback Forum and Obama's response.

I posted on one I found very telling.

Speaking Our Favorite Saddleback Moments

Following Kat's lead of looking at responses to Pastor Rick Warren's questions........

This is my favorite

Warren: What's the most gut-wrenching decision you've ever had to make and how did you process that, come to that decision?
Obama: Well, you know, I think the opposition to the war in Iraq was as tough a decision that I’ve had to make not only because there were political consequences but also because Saddam Hussein was a bad person and there was no doubt that he meant America ill, but I was firmly convinced at the time that we did not have strong evidence of weapons of mass destruction and there were a lot of questions that as I spoke to experts kept on coming up, do we know how the Shiites and the Sunnis and the Kurds are going to get along in a post Saddam situation, what's our assessment as to how this will affect the battle against terrorist like al-Qaeda, have we finished the job in Afghanistan so I agonized over that and I think questions of war and peace generally are so profound you know when you meet the troops, they are 19, 20, 21-year old kids and you are putting them into harm's way there is a solemn obligation that you do everything you can to get that decision right. And now as the war went forward, very difficult about how long do you keep funding the war if you strongly believe that it's not America’s national interest at the same time you don't want to have troops who are out there without the equipment they need. So that all those questions surrounding the war have been very difficult for me.

So......here's is my question (I know there are some who think I am using this as an excuse to hold up my Bad Boyfriend in a favorable light because his answer was so wayyyyyyy bettah, but no, I am just discussing Obama's answer):

Shouldn't your most gut-wrenching decision be one that had a fucking consequence?

What was the fallout to Obama's agonizing decision making process?

Perhaps Obama's staff could remind him that at the time that OIF commenced, he was still in the Illinois legislature and not the US Senate.

Not to be overly dramatic (although it is my specialty), this? This! THIS is your "Garden of Olives" moment, sir?

BHO, proving once again that he has no grasp on the word "responsibility".

4 comments:

Nick said...

Maggie,

Aren't you being a tad unfair? His stand against the invasion of Iraq would have destroyed all his credibility if he had turned out to be wrong.

I would never argue that might ever be as gut-wrenching as a decision that sends soldiers to their deaths, but it was still pretty ballsy to speak out against the invasion at a time when it was not politically popular.

Also, I think it's a little disingenuous to put quotes around "responsibility" as if it were a part of the question or Obama's response. That word never came up.

BostonMaggie said...

Unfair? Moi? LOL

Plenty of state and local politicians opposed OIF and I haven't seen anyone's credibility destroyed.....if they had a record of thoughtfulness to begin with. So, no, I don't see this as particularly courageous.

I put responsibility in quotation marks because that goes hand in hand with the "gut-wrenching" part. For a decision to count in the framework of the question asked, it must be one for which you bear some responsibility. Obama doesn't get that, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

His stand against the invasion of Iraq would have destroyed all his credibility if he had turned out to be wrong.

Well, he turned out to be wrong, his credibility self-destructs on a weekly basis, and the Lefties still swoon over him despite the fact that his "oratorical skills" vanish when a sixth-grader asks such a simple question as "Why do you want to be President?"

Score for Maggie...

BostonMaggie said...

My Darling Chief - Words can not convey my excitement at the thought of scoring with you.