Sunday, January 18, 2009

OK, Hear Me Out On This One Before You Jump

I am not saying this because I am pro-Israeli.....which I am.

This is not meant to be an unkind knock against a grieving father. I think this man has suffered greatly and I am heartbroken for any parent who loses a child, much less three.

Gazan Doctor and Peace Advocate Loses 3 Daughters to Israeli Fire and Asks Why
By DINA KRAFT
Published: January 17, 2009

TEL HASHOMER, Israel — Dr. Izzeldin Abuelaish is a Gazan and a doctor who has devoted his life to medicine and reconciliation between Israelis and Palestinians.
But on Saturday, the day after three of his daughters and a niece were killed by Israeli fire in Gaza, Dr. Abuelaish, 53, struggled to hold on to the humane philosophy that has guided his life and work.
As he sat in a waiting room of the Israeli hospital where he works part time, he asked over and over, “Why did they do this?”
Elsewhere in the hospital another daughter and a niece were being treated for their wounds.


OK, this is just awful. Tragic. But here's my question. And I think it's a legitimate question.

Why, if you are an educated person would you keep your children with you in a war zone after being warned to leave if you were a non-combatant?

The Israelis have been warning civilians to leave for a while now.

I understand if *he* decides to stay. He's a doctor, doesn't want to leave his people.....ok. But why keep your children with you? He was warned and he had the means to send them elsewhere.

It is not unprecedented in history to see people who stay in a dangerous place, but send their families elsewhere. Look at all the children sent out of London to the countryside or even America during the Blitz.

I understand not deserting your post. But I fail to understand keeping your children in a war zone.

1 comment:

Stella by Starlight said...

Yes, you're absolutely right that Israel has warned the Palestinians about the bombing.

I can only think that in those terrible circumstances, people do not think clearly. Dr. Abuelaish is obviously a great man. I agree with his lament of, “Why did they do this?”

Your comment about the Blitz is also apt. My grandmother and mother were sent to Scotland while the Germans bombed London.

I can only respond that no matter how educated a person, their brilliance has nothing to do with emotion. Perhaps he, like many other people, felt he and his family are immortal.

Maggie, I just don't know, but this post saddens me more than I can express.