Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Two Cents

At Key Moment, Diverse G.O.P. Leadership Choice
WASHINGTON — As the nation is on the verge of inaugurating its first black president, the Republican Party is facing a telling choice: whether to elect its first black chairman.

The contest for Republican Party chairman comes as Republican leaders seek to figure out what the party stands for, as well as what face to put forward as they struggle to avoid shrinking into a party of Southern white men in an increasingly diverse country.

The six candidates are four white men, including two from the South, and two black men: Michael Steele, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland, and J. Kenneth Blackwell, the former Ohio secretary of state.
******************************
J. Kenneth Blackwell, the former Ohio secretary of state. - unfairly tainted by election fraud questions. I know it's unfair, but that's life.

Michael Steele, the former lieutenant governor of Maryland - here's the one I want.

Katon Dawson, the South Carolina Republican chairman - poor judgement

Chip Saltsman, the Tennessee party chairman - poor judgement

Saul Anuzis, the Michigan chairman - no name recognition, not even from me

Mike Duncan, incumbent - not for nothing, but Mike Duncan presided over a losing team.

I am not just picking the least unappealing. I like Steele. I like what he has to say and how he says it.

Besides Michael Steele likes puppies.....you can't overestimate that demographic, can you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've never heard of Saul Anuzis?

BostonMaggie said...

I hadn't. After reading the article, I looked him up. It's impressive. Son of immigrants. Former teamster, scout master.

My point was that he didn't have enough name recognition. I am somewhat of a political geek and if I don't recognize the name.....