Monday, November 07, 2011

Loot From the Ripley Race!

Yesterday was a win all around. I was up early enough to be there for the Ripley Race, not just on time....but early! (Somebody pick up My Marine off of the floor.)

Mary and I arrived and promptly split up. She was participating, I was looking for a job. I registered and said "I'm not running, do you have something for me to do?" with that I was motioned behind the sign-up table and got to work.

Here's my shirt, cap, Semper Fi Fund newsletter, (losing) raffle tickets and my official number "857". My race number looks pristine, doesn't it?

Brant Alexander who was visiting from Chicago was the overall/Men's winner. Brianna Stewart, a sixteen year old from St. Mary's High School was the Women's 1st place finisher....for the 2nd year in a row!
Then there was the Semper Fi Team - After the race, it was off to Fado's for raffles and revelry and hanging with my USNI friends.

Later in the day, I needed to nap. My Marine asked if I didn't mean "pass out".....seriously, I can't get away with anything.
Here is an article and slide show from the Capitol about the Ripley Race.


The article highlights the more than one thousand participants and the race organizers and the Ripley family. They congratulate everyone who helped in raising more than $87,000 for this great cause. It's the third year and every year is better than the last.

But one great thing I don't want anyone to miss out on is the serendipity of this event. (I don't think I've ever blogged this word and I hope I have it right). Col Ripley was all the things the article highlights. A Marine, a hero, a recipient of the Navy Cross.


But Col. Ripley was also a Wounded Warrior. His injuries from Vietnam led to his death in 2008. So yesterday, the participants included civilians, Naval Academy midshipmen, active duty military, veterans and Wounded Warriors ran and walked in honor of a Wounded Warrior, to raise funds to help fellow Wounded Warriors.


And it was a beautiful thing.

No comments: