Thursday, July 24, 2008

Compounding A Tragedy

*****UPDATE***** 07/25/08 @ 2010 The scoop on making a donation*****
We will never know the difference this could have made. According to the news story below Kendra Johnson's coworkers called the police on Thursday the 17th to report a possible problem. The police went to the residence but even though they could hear the children inside and no adult came to the door, they left a note and went away!

What? YGTBFKM! Maybe she hadn't been shot yet? Maybe she had been shot and quicker medical attention could have meant her injuries would not be so severe.

Jesus wept.

Husband Charged In Attempted Murder-Suicide

Police have arrested Jacob Johnson, husband to Kendra Johnson, whom he shot before turning the gun on himself. The 24 year-old is charged with Aggravated Malicious Wounding and Use of a Firearm during a felony.

Police charged Johnson Wednesday at 7:45 p.m. while he was in the hospital. He was also given a bond hearing at that time.

On Friday, July 18, 2008, at 8:38 a.m., Police and EMS responded to a call for two people who had been shot in a residence in the 3300 block of Springbreeze Court, in The Lakes section of Virginia Beach.

Officers found a female and male victim inside the house upon their arrival. The couples's two preschool children were located in a bedroom by a family member who had come to check on the welfare of the family after not hearing from them for several days. The children were not injured and are in the care of family members.

We're told as of 11:30 a.m. Thursday, 21 year-old Kendra Johnson is still in critical condition and on life support. Kendra's father tells News Channel 3 that his Navy daughter was Jacob's high school sweetheart. They were married right after graduating from Landstowne High School. Kendra graduated from Norfolk State and was working as a nurse at Norfolk Sentara.

According to father Dale Fuller, his daughters co-workers called police and told them she didn't show up for work on Wednesday. The family says Virginia Beach Police stopped by the home on Thursday, knocked on the door, heard the two children inside, but just left a notice on the door and went away.

Fuller thinks police should have went into the home when they heard the children simply because no adult came to the door. He says he's "highly disappointed" in the police department's response to the incident.
Please pray for Kendra and her family and if you can make a donation to the Kendra Johnson Fund - details here.


Anonymous said...

A completely horrible and possibly unnecessary tragedy. I can't believe that when police go to a house and hear the sound of babies, but no one comes to the door, that the police manual says just to leave a note!?!?

Anonymous said...

Don't believe everything you read, especially on They have been historically inaccurate.

BostonMaggie said...

Regarding the comment directly above this one:

Someone from an official City of Virginia Beach computer popped out in this post to leave a comment. I'm going to publish it. I enable comments moderation, I can choose not to do this. Even if I didn't, I could delete it, but I am going to publish it and let it stay.

One reason is that the person makes a good point. We shouldn't believe everything we read. Plenty of my postings on this blog deal with things in the press that are not factual or slanted.

Second, the reason I moderate is to stop spam and obscenity. The comment while possibly insensitive, is not obscene.

However, please be advised that I don't want people to be disrespectful of the family's feelings as things here will get back to them.

Anonymous said...

Thank You bostonmaggie,I am a friend of the family and we appreciate the concern of others but the news is pretty accurate.It's a terrible tregedy but we are all praying.

Anonymous said...

He never graduated from Landstown.

Anonymous said...

I would like to say as a friend of kendra and of the family, your new report is unforunately completely accurate. We are all still in disbelief that our kendra will never be the same. She is a strong woman and a terrific nurse. God must only has bigger plans for her. Please keep kendra, her beloved children, family, and friends in your prayers. Thank you for tactfully reporting this story. God bless.

SWO said...

Swosanity said:

As her father, You may not like what you have heard or read but it is unfortunately true and very accurate. Why? Because I am the source!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to read that she is doing better!!!!

SWO said...

Where to start....

Last month Kendra was on her way back. I was in the hospital with her during her physical therapy most of the time in August and all was going well. Her eye sight returned. She was able to wheel her self around in a wheel chair even though she is paralyzed on her right side. I saw her stand up for the first time on her own for two minutes. She is so strong with her will to live and recover. We had an inkling that she had some speech capability and on my last day in Norfolk they removed her tracheotomy and the first words out of her mouth were hi. Oh my god. We just jumped. That was a small miracle. Her brain is speaking to us but all that comes out is hi. Hard to explain but I am not a doctor. The left side of the brain controls the speech etc... and she will have to relearn speech if that is at all possible. Before she went back into surgery she knew at least 12 words, but she has yet to say the word; dad. For some reason that one word is hard for her to say. She has no idea how much I want to hear her say Hi dad! But you know what she can take her sweet time. Well I returned to San Diego at the end of August and three days later tragedy struck again. Kendra became very ill with a high fever and they diagnosed her with a brain infection. She had another brain surgery in early September to remove the infected brain matter and fragments. So I flew back to Norfolk and spent several more days in Norfolk until she got out of ICU. More complications incurred since that time but the end result is that Kendra is now back in physical therapy. Infection is gone, blood clots are gone and we have been celebrating this new miracle ever since. Whew. What a woman. The grand kids are doing fine and we are coping as best we can.

Thanks for the support!

Hey this is about the best I can report after a Newport drinkex. So edit accordingly. LOL