Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The True Story Of Black Hawk Down

Jen and I sat down last night to watch this special on the History Channel (actually we had it in the DVR, the only thing we watch live is "24"). So Jen thought it was going to be the story of Scott O'Grady, so it was a total surprise for her. I had seen the movie "Black Hawk Down" years ago, so I was familiar with the story. The year before last SouthieBoy was taking a course that included reading about failing states. I was doing the reading along with him a) because it was interesting and b) because I wanted to be able to converse with SB in an intelligent manner. So I read quite a bit about Somalia. When I finished the reading on Operation Provide Relief, Operation Restore Hope and Operation Continue Hope, I remember thinking I wanted to go back and watch "Black Hawk Down" again.
So, we watched this special with Mark Bowden, the author of "Black Hawk Down: A Story of Modern War" and several vets who were there that day. I really got so much more out of this than I would have before I read about Somalia. It didn't hurt that I have picked up all this knowledge about the military since I have been surfing around the 'Net, either.

Anway, Jen was so horrified that we went in to help and it ended the way it did. "That's it!" she exclaimed. "We're not helping anyone else! No more. Let them starve. I don't want to hear another word about Darfur. Ever!" (I have been pushing the boots-on-the-ground-in-Darfur thing for a while). I asked "Will you write to me when I'm over there, handing out food?". The answer was an emphatic "NO!"

Gee, I was counting on Jen to drop ship me Hershey-ets when I am there.

No comments: