Tuesday, January 09, 2007

OK, This Sounds Bad

...but I'll be honest and say I need to read a lot more before I am sure.

First off, this deals with something called PSI (Proliferation Security Initiative).

On Tuesday, January 9th, the 110th Congress voted on H.R. 1 "Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act of 2007".

The problem comes up in Section 1221 "Proliferation Security Initiative Improvements and Authorities"


(a) Sense of Congress- It is the sense of Congress, consistent with the 9/11 Commission's recommendations, that the President should strive to expand and strengthen the Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI) announced by the President on May 31, 2003, with a particular emphasis on the following:
(1) Issuing a presidential directive to the relevant government agencies and departments that establishes a defined annual budget and clear authorities, and provides other necessary resources and structures to achieve more efficient and effective performance of United States PSI-related activities.
(2) Working with the United Nations Security Council to develop a resolution to authorize the PSI under international law.
(3) Increasing PSI cooperation with non-NATO partners

This sounds bad to me. It also sounded bad to RedState and to Ramesh Ponnuru.

John Boehner issued a statement on this.
“I was proud to support a Republican proposal to prohibit transferring authority for the Proliferation Security Initiative to the United Nations. America’s national security is the sovereign responsibility of America alone. It should not be outsourced to foreign governments and international bodies.

RedState asks:
Does anyone remember the comotion stirred by John Kerry during the 2004 election when he talked about America needing to listening to foriegn leaders and pass some sort of a global test? Well to my suprise Democrats decided to put this into law.

I remember. That's why my favorite sweatshirt shows Uncle Sam infront os the UN logo angrily pointing and saying "I Don't Do Global Tests!". When people see it and ask what it means my answer is "It's an obscure, belligerent poreign policy statement."

So, I will read about this and think a little longer on it. I don't want to give into any Dubai-Ports-Security" hysteria.

2 comments:

f mcdonald said...

I think this one can be safely placed in the BAD column. Especially at this time in our history.

Anonymous said...

Oh, joy. I can hardly wait for the first multinational UNPSIFOR contingent from Palestine, Yemen, Syria and Eritria to arrive and start patrolling the airports.

Heh. Knowing the Dems, there'll be DNC agents waiting to pass out apps for driver's licenses and voter registration forms...