Thursday, June 07, 2007

I Hate The French - Reason 2,647,354

A French warship reportedly looked on as the event unfolded, and refused to enter Somali waters as the mv DANICA WHITE was taken into the region.

What. The. Fuck.

Read the very interesting analyses over at CDR Salamandar and EagleSpeak.

I'm not completely happy with the USN this morning either.

**********UPDATE********** It was the USS Carter Hall....not Hill***********
The USS Carter Hill, part of a U.S. task force that helps maintain security off Somalia and nearby countries, engaged the pirates after they hijacked a Danish cargo ship, the Danica White, in international waters, said Lt. Denise Garcia, a public affairs officer at U.S. Naval Forces Central Command in Bahrain.

The U.S. ship fired several warning shots across the Danica White's bow and also destroyed three small boats the pirates had used in their assault and were towing behind the Danish vessel, according to Garcia, who said the incident occurred Saturday.

The U.S. ship called off its pursuit after the pirates navigated the Danica White into Somalia's territorial waters, where the U.S. does not have jurisdiction, Garcia said.

What's that saying......... "It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission."? Everybody already thinks we're a bully, why not run with it?

I hope and pray for the best for the crew members of the Danica White.

5 comments:

Citizen Deux said...

CARTER HALL is not an interdiction vessel. Depending on her current ROE, she certainly was NOT authorized to pursue into Somali waters.

What is amazing is that she engaged at all. As Eagle Speak points out, a DDG or FFG would be far better equipped to intercept. SHe may have laid waste to the small boats as a means of preventing the pirates from escaping. A 9.5kt diesel freighter will be a lot easier to pick up than several go fasts.

Secondly, and this is PURE speculation, given the operations ongoing in Somalia - CARTER HALL may have had SOF or other "operators" embarked and thus unable to provide any HVBSS interdiction.

Piracy is real and growing and requires a very serious, coordinated international effort to combat.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Cripes, at least make an ATTEMPT!!! Fire off some rounds, shout loudly, moon them! Just do something worthwhile!

Anonymous said...

I'll hold my tongue...for now.
SB

BostonMaggie said...

Good Morning, my sweet!

I was waiting with baited breath.

LOL, I tried to get the Ogre!!! to give me a little insight and he wouldn't. Even after I pouted! First he he told me that he didn't know anything, so I sent him links. The he said "Very interesting. I'll verify with my current OPS source at PACOM and get back to you." I told him he was a brat and a tease. I was just asking for his opinion since my bestest source was tied up. I asked what he was good for and he replied "Not Much".

I have some theories to float when we talk. But mostly I'll give you a hard time..........why didn't you handle this?!? The Danes are our friends. Remember Tuborg, butter cookies, Muslim cartoons? Jeez!

BostonMaggie said...

BTW.......I'd rather hold it, if you don't mind.