Thursday, November 09, 2006

Rumsfeld

I am bummed about one thing.....he had the best press conferences! And his sayings....."Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" is my favorite. I don't understand why people are surprised. SB and I have been discussing this for a while. We both knew he was going as soon as the elections were over. The only thing that surprised us was that they didn't wait a few days.

I think this is a good thing. As much as I liked him, he hasn't been doing a good job. I think I could have done a better job. It isn't rocket science to know that we should have done more immediately after the invasion. The sad part is that the things that would have made the difference were all things we could have done easily. We should have rounded up every capable young man and given him a job......cleaning, clearing, building, guarding..........whatever. Then they wouldn't have been so susceptible to the temptation to join militias or terrorist groups. It's hard to join such groups when you are busy working and supporting your family. Conversely, all that free time hanging around, listening to extremists caused a lot of problems. That all could have been avoided. Plus the work they would have done would have benefitted everyone. We needed..need a Marshall Plan approach.

As far as security goes...........well I can only guess that Rumsfeld has never read Sun Tzu. I almost wish I hadn't.

No comments: