Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Protesting and the 1st Amendment

Caught a repeat of "The Daily Show" last night where Jon Stewart discussed the students protesting Jim Gilchrist's appearance at Columbia. Here's a link to the YouTube video. For some reason I can't upload it directly since the crazy blogger beta thing....I digress.

I am astonished that these young people believe their right to protest trumps my right to listen or Dr. Brook's right to speak. I have been to many talks/lectures/panels that made my blood boil (P. Sabin Willet, lol), but never did it even occur to me to interfere. When someone I disagree with is going to speak, one of three things happens. A) I listen...steaming...but I listen. I express my displeasure by not applauding or commenting during the Q/A time (always courteously) B) I walk away or don't attend. C) I protest peacefully outside. It would never occur to me to subvert the 1st Amendment.

There is a saying that these children need to learn. your right to swing your arm, ends at the tip of my nose. They also need to familiarize themselves with the Bill of Rights. the 1st Amendment only works when you are prepared to respect the rights of those who would hold views antithetical to yours.

No comments: