Thursday, May 27, 2010

Stuff That Makes You Say ....Hmmmmm....

The whole Arizona law, well, you know where I come down on this. I am rabid about securing the borders. If I felt someone's civil rights were being violated, I would not approve. However, I have read up extensively on it and I know that is not the case.

I have been asked on occasion to supply identification to a police officer secondary to another matter - traffic stop, etc. So I know there is nothing wrong with that. I know that a police officer can in certain situations compel me to properly identify myself.

I got this in an email from Bigg Bill (a neverending source of useful information) -

From pages 8 & 9 of
"Welcome to the United States A Guide for New Immigrants"
As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:
•Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
•Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
•Register with the Selective Service (U.S.ArmedForces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26. See page 11 for instructions.
•Maintain your immigration status.
•Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.
..........
Permanent residents are issued a valid Permanent Resi-dent Card (Form I-551) as proof of their legal status in the United States.
Some people call this a “Green Card.” If you are a permanent resident who is 18 years or older, you must carry proof of your immigration status.
You must show it to an immigration officer if asked for it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, let's recap;
*I*, a natural born citizen of the United States can, by law, be compelled by a law enforcement officer to produce valid identification secondary to some other situation (i.e. traffic stop).

Legal immigrants are instructed to always carry their "Green card" and to show it when asked for it, period.

So, please explain what is wrong with the Arizona law.

Do not, under any circumstances cite your feelings about it or your prognostications about it's effect. Speak only of facts for which you can cite references. State what is wrong with it.

5 comments:

Mrs. Diva said...

There is nothing wrong with it, at all.

Robbo said...

Actually, you are not required to carry ID as a citizen. If you drive, of course you'll have a license. But what if you took the bus? What if you're just out for a jog or a bike ride? Who carries ID with them then?

The thing is that if a cop stops me for jaywalking, or because I fit the description of someone who just ripped off the 7-11 around the corner, I have to tell him my name, but if I don't have ID, no big deal -- except in Arizona, where I'll go to jail.

Oh, that's right, I won't go to jail, because I'm white. Sorry, all you non-white citizens.

BostonMaggie said...

But Robbo, you are required to identify yourself properly in certain circumstances. We all know it. Up until now many jurisdictions have not been carry out the law properly. that's all Arizona is doing.

No one is looking to penalize brown people. That's a red herring.

On the one hand I loathe when people play the race card....but on the other, I don't care that you have done so here. I don't care because I know you are wrong. I do not support the Arizona law because I am racist. Your mudslinging in this debate can't hurt me. I don't write this blog to get strangers on the web to validate me.

There is nothing wrong with this law as written. Your comment does nothing to dispute this statement.

Crossing our borders illegally is a crime. Until you and those who agree with you open those borders and change those laws, the existing laws should be enforced.

Robbo said...

Yes, I am required to identify myself to police by stating my name and address -- ID is not required.

I know of no jurisdiction, except Arizona now, where I, as a citizen, am required to have a government issued ID on me if I walk down to the 7-11, or go for a jog.

Robbo said...

Also, tell your friends from Maine to take their passports when they visit Arizona. Maine is one of the few states (6 or 7) that will let you get a license without proving citizenship. Arizona's law says that showing a DL from one of those states doesn't mean you're here legally, so you've broken the law.

I don't like people breaking into my country anymore than I want them breaking into my property. But this law is (inadvertantly, but stupidly) set up to harass US citizens with brown skin.