Monday, August 20, 2007

I Love Jerry Thornton

So, let's start at the beginning.

It all starts with that troublemaker from Southie, SB........I know, that's redundant! He sends me an email that lists the levels of Boston Irishness. It's funny, we enjoy it. I take it.....tart it up with pics and links and post it here. Then Universal Hub linked it and caused a little avalanche here. That's how I found out that the email was an excerpt from a very funny post by Jerry Thornton. I updated the post to credit him and emailed him to apologize for not doing it sooner. But the avalanche also swept in a little trash. One troll left two really nasty comments. This caused a dust-up which ended with me enabling comments moderation.

Now here's the best part. Jerry came out to the "Trolls" post to defend me.
"Yes, I'm the author of the "Boston Irish" piece Maggie thought enough of to post. And no, I'm not offended she didn't attribute it to me, though I do appreciate that she took the time to redo it when she found out it was me.
I'm grateful also to the anonymous troll who pointed out it was originally my piece, because such people are helpful. They help police the web in an often positive way. For instance, the Globe football writer, who was virulently anti-Bill Belichick, and therefore evil in my eyes, got fired for lifting things verbatim from another writer. Mike Barnicle anyone? I'm also a comic, which is a self-policing industry. Some guys are pure, thieving sponges (Carlos Mencia, Robin Williams), but others think every bit every other guy does was stolen from them. It's insane.
At the same time, I've been called out on the Barstool Sports blog by people accusing me of lifting. A QB gets his picture taken leaving a slutty hotel heiresses house, I post the photo, and I get accused of stealing it, like a news photo belongs to only one site.I'm flattered that you thought enough of my work to post it. And to attach my name to it when you found out the source. But mostly I'm not cheesed off because I don't mess with redhead Townie chicks with guns.
I like the blog. Keep it up."

He also complimented me........I'm hugely flattered.

So Jerry, I don't know where that BarStool is..........but when I find it, I owe you a drink.

kisses............love Maggie

4 comments:

John of Argghhh! said...

Dammit! 29,959!

John of Argghhh!

BostonMaggie said...

Thanks for playing our game..........we have some lovely parting gifts for you....your very own Khyber rifle! Yes, having a Khyber rifle out on the range so you can play the home version of visiting the 'Stan.

Anonymous said...

I am lucky enough to count Jerry Thornton as a good friend of mine, and his kind words to you only reinforce my belief that gentlemen really DO exist. Your stuff is great, keep up the good work, and congratulations for now having a guy as funny, smart and kind as Jerry in your corner.

BostonMaggie said...

Thanks. I think it is pretty lucky to have acquired a friend this way.

Shit! This means I might owe that troll a "thank you"!