Friday, December 08, 2006

Is Jimmy Carter A Liar?

Well, I know I disagree with lot's of stuff he says and he peeves me to no end, but even I am surprised at this charge. A former aide is on FoxNews this morning discussing historical inaccuracies in the new book, "Palestine: Peace Not Apartheid". Dr. Kenneth Stein has resigned his position with the Carter Center over this. He says there are inaccuracies, ommissions, and distortions. Carter has always been in my mind and the minds of others, a Palestinian sympathizer......I am a supporter of Israel. So, of course, we have a fundemental disagreement. But to find out he's lying to forward his agenda, wow. To misquote UN resolutions is silly. Those sorts of things are easily caught by other historians and political science wonks. So Dr. Stein has called him out on it. Carter responded with an Op-Ed in the LA Times

Carter has said at Simon and Schuster's website.
"The bottom line is this," Carter writes in an online excerpt posted by his publisher." "Peace will come to Israel and the Middle East only when the Israeli government is willing to comply with international law, with the Roadmap for Peace, with official American policy, with the wishes of a majority of its own citizens -- and honor its own previous commitments -- by accepting its legal borders. All Arab neighbors must pledge to honor Israel's right to live in peace under these conditions."

I think it's the last line that matters, the rest is just crap. I think Carter is abusing his authority as a former POTUS to push an agenda and disguise it as a historically accurate book. No, I won't be reading it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A smart ass I know gave me a copy of the book, the good news is that it will come in handy, I'm running short on cat litter.