Saturday, June 24, 2006

King Phillip's War


Broke out on this day in 1675. Wampanoag warriors killed seven colonists in Swansea in retaliation for a series of injustices suffered at the hands of the English. This raid is generally considered the beginning of King Philip's War, a bloody conflict that would involve every New England colony and all the peoples of the Algonquian nation. Over the next year, members of the Abenaki, Narragansett, Nipmuc, and Wampanoag tribes attacked more than half of all the settlements in New England and reduced about a dozen towns in Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay colonies to ashes. By August of 1676, more than 600 settlers had died and 1,200 homes had been burned. An estimated 3,000 Native Americans died at the hands of the English.

I met a guy at a book signing who was doing a movie about this. I thought this sounded hugely interesting......because I am a geek. It's still in the development stage and they are soliciting funds stage.
King Philip's War
George Csicsery
KING PHILIP'S WAR will be a dramatic feature film about the first and bloodiest Anglo-Native American conflict in North America. The screenplay about the rebellion of Philip the Wampanoag and his allies against the United Colonies of New England in 1675 covers a critical episode in the history of European colonization of the Americas.


If you ever visit Plymouth, Massachusetts you should take the lantern tour. It visits some relevent sites and is just plain fun. I'm not just saying that because of my interest in history. I have taken my children, their friends, all my nieces and nephews........they all had a good time. If you doubt me, we'll bet dinner on it. Come to Plymouth, I'll take you on the tour and you'll see I'm right. I only make bets I can win. The "Ghostly Haunts" tour is better in the fall when there is a little chill in the air.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just as a random piece of useless info, my former boss moved to Plymouth. I guess they like it there.