Wednesday, June 07, 2006

BBC Newshour

This morning's big story was the alleged "Torture Flights". The BBC story covers The Council of Europe report. The report has accused 14 member states of "collusion" with the US practice of rendition, in which terrorism suspects are secretly transported to countries where they are at risk of torture. If you follow this link there is audio.

I want to care. I think I should care. I thought about caring.

I failed.

Planes fly into buildings. Embassies and Marine barracks get blown up. US Naval ships are attacked. There are plots to hack off the Canadian Prime Ministers head.

My concern is a series of riples out from me.

My sons are safe.
My family is safe.
Boston is safe.
America is safe.
The Western World is safe.
Ok........now I'll worry about Mahmoud who left his home to travel to some Godforsaken land and train with the other Jihadis with their left over Kalishnikovs and their internet videos wandering into Coalition hands.....getting a plane ride to an unnamed country where is is interrogated. Gee, was he guilty? Did he know anything useful? Is he telling the truth? Do I care?

No I don't care. Do you want to know why? Because I believe there should be a Pax Americana. An American citizen should be able to walk unmolested anywhere in THE WORLD. Until that day.........don't bother me about extraordinary renditions.

2 comments:

Gunny John said...

I, for one, do care. I care that the CIA screwed up and let this info (allegedly) get out. Here we had a perfectly good intelligence gathering operation that has been put in jeapordy by the bleeding hearts.

Like you, I won't be shedding any tears over the Muslim nutjobs that were allegedly interrogated.

BostonMaggie said...

Agreed