Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Ok, It's Time

The Princess Crabby Self Improvement Plan

Get the hell back on Atkins. It's not just about losing weight or not gaining weight. I simply function better on Atkins. I sleep less and the sleep I get is more restful. I am more on an even keel. I admit it. When it comes to chocolate.....I have a problem. I am an addict. And, like any other addict, I'm better when I'm clean.

More gym time - this one is easy enough, I like being there.

More time at work - there are projects that I think of for work and I never get to them because I am not there enough.

An expansion of the Austerity Program. There are things I want to do this year. I want to go to Vegas with my family in March. You know I don't gamble, but my cousin is getting married there, so we are going. There is the Milblog Conference in late April/early May. The Ogre wants my back in NOLA for Mardi Gras. I told him that just wasn't possible. It's too expensive, but I wouldn't mind going at some other point. Who knows, maybe he'll leave the shipyard for a few hours and take me to dinner. Plus, at some point, that mad-man-in-the-desert will come stateside and I would like to show up where ever my friend Gary sees fit to billet him.

So, all of the those "wants" cost money. Frivilous spending needs to stop.

Personal organization - I have every check I have ever written...... since 1979. I have a lot of paper, a lot of crap. I have manuals and warranty info on appliances that went to the dump ten years ago. I have pictures that need info written on the back. Some that need to be uploaded. I have books and papers. My attic is full of stuff that I don't want to think about. It's a small house. There might be some elbow room if I could bring myself to to sort and organize and make a few trips to the dump.

Then, if it's possible......the garden. Years ago, when Tommy was young, I gardened. Now....it's brown and barren and bleak.

I'm off to bed now, so I can get a good foot under me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go Maggie!! (Happy New Year)
Random thought: one can work (and be highly productive/creative) without being at work. One of my New Year's areas for exploration is how to 'work' more while at the gym. E.g.,

http://details-worktools.com/, http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2004011671_desktreadmill14.html, and http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/levine_lab/about.cfm

Re. chocolate: the only thing I've found that works is, like all addictions, going cold turkey.

Teresa said...

Yay! New Year and all the new plans... Love it! My suggestion - write all of these down on paper and post on your refrigerator or someplace prominent. This way you will either have to do them or look at a paper with nothing crossed off. LOL - then again I hate seeing lists where nothing is crossed off.

I need to make my own list. I did accomplish a number of things last year that were excellent - I got ALL my closets cleaned out (how the hell do I get closets so messed up after only a year in the place??? I have no idea - but they are all organized now)

This year it's the garage. It's my husband's domain - but it desperately needs help... desperately.

Now, if you want to garden - c'mon out to my place - I have so much garden I'm drowning and I don't garden... ouch!

Good Luck with all your list - I hope it all works! *grin*

Anonymous said...

I hope you get (accomplish) everything you wish for in the new year.

Anonymous said...

My list?
1. Join the YMCA (DONE!! today, actually)
2. Actually USE the Y membership and get back into shape
3. Reduce my debt
4. Be a better housekeeper
5. Attend church more regularly

BostonMaggie said...

Art - I do print off stuff to read at the gym, but selfishly, 90% of the time it's something that interests me. On the cold turkey thing.....thank God for Russell Stover! They make a sugarfree that works just fine and tastes delish

Teresa - The blog is my virtual fridge door, lol!

Lukie - Happy new Year!

Sis - Like we weren't already the hottest Denizens at the MilBlog Conference!

Anonymous said...

Go for it :) Good to see you have a few plans and the guts to put them out there.

Anonymous said...

Crap. You mentioned the Conf. Now I HAVE to lose weight. *sigh* I have no excuse either, we have a full gym! lol I'm blaming chocolate.