Sunday, January 27, 2008

I'm Sorry, Caroline

But I am terribly disappointed with your Op-Ed in The NYT . I can not agree with your premise that you back Obama because of your father. I am the first to agree that your father inspired many. I will also concur with the same wistful longing that your father lights our path today, 45 years after his assassination. But Obama is an empty vessel. He has no substance.

I was speaking with a young man the other day who commented on Obama's speeches. I agreed that he was moving speaker. But what about a record to stand on? I asked the young man, "What is he telling you in that eloquent voice that you agree with?" Yes, we can! Yes we can what?"

Follow this link to Obama's voting record. Do his votes reflect your values? How about scrolling through the catagories to "Budget, Spending and Taxes". How do you feel about all the NV (not voting) entries?

"Yes we can!" is a catchy slogan. So was "I Like Ike", so was "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too!" So what? What does this tell us? It tells us that Obama can whip up and inspire a crowd with his passion and his words. Great! Pull together a congregation and put him at the pulpit. But don't put him in the White House.

I'm sorry Caroline, but I think your father and your Uncle Bobby would be laughing. Your father was a more than slogans, more than speeches. Your father was substance. Your father was a leader of men in WWII (a small boat Sailor - my favorite!). Your father had principles to go with his ideals and a record to stand on. Your father walked through Charlestown to begin his political career and served as a Congressman and Senator from 1946 to 1960. In the Congress he voted his own way and didn't always follow the party line. Your father was about more than feeling good.

I know there's a certain amount of luck involved in these things. You have to be in the right place at the right time. But for pity's sake! If Jack Ryan hadn't wanted his wife to try a little something different on night in Paris, you wouldn't even know Obama's name!

Gotta go with Senator Bentsen on this one........

3 comments:

Mike said...

That about sums up how I feel about Obama. I've characterized him to all my friends as JFK without any solid ideas.

Sorry I made you feel old the other day. It wasn't my intention, although there's actually nothing inherently wrong with being "older," if you catch my drift.

Besides, if it makes you feel any better, I'm feeling rather old and responsible as I did not get drunk a single night this weekend and instead spent all three nights being the mother for some of my friends, including one night where I got to get in touch with my inner housewife and clean and disinfect not one, but two sinks. Also got to chauffeur a couple of drunk friends around while they decided to make out in the back seat, making feel what I can only imagine my parents felt like when I was in junior high.

So, long story short, this weekend has left me feeling very middle aged.

BostonMaggie said...

Mike - come to the MilBlog Conference in the fall.....we'll all be irresponsible!

Mike said...

Heh, sounds like a plan.