Saturday, January 12, 2008

A Painfully Stupid Statement

When someone mispeaks, even if you don't like the person, sometimes you wince in sympathy. I am no fan of Hilary's. You can skim this blog in the most superficial way and know that I am far from in sync with either Clinton. However, after reading about her January 8th interview on NBC's today show..........

Sen. Obama used President John F. Kennedy and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to criticize me,” she said. “Basically compared himself to two of our greatest heroes. He basically said that President Kennedy and Dr. King had made great speeches and that speeches were important. Well, no one denies that. But if all there is (is) a speech, then it doesn’t change anything.”

I realize that she is not saying that all Dr. King did was make speeches, but that *is* how it comes across.

I am not any kind of minority. As I have said many times in the past, there is NOTHING easier than growing up Irish Catholic in Charlestown in the 60s and early 70s. Even with the forced busing! My closet brush with that sort of thing was during the busing, people outside of Charlestown assumed we were racist. Comparatively speaking, that is a drop in the bucket as far what blacks in Boston suffered.

So, if reading her statement makes me cringe.......I can't imagine how I'd feel if I were black.

No comments: