Thursday, August 09, 2007

Corrupting Influence

Main Entry: 1 cor·rupt
Pronunciation: k&-'r&pt
Function: verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin corruptus, past participle of corrumpere, from com- + rumpere to break -- more at REAVE
transitive verb
1 a : to change from good to bad in morals, manners, or actions;
Main Entry: 1 in·flu·ence
Pronunciation: 'in-"flü-&n(t)s, especially Southern in-'
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin influentia, from Latin influent-, influens, present participle of influere to flow in, from in- + fluere to flow -- more at FLUID
1 a : an ethereal fluid held to flow from the stars and to affect the actions of humans b : an emanation of occult power held to derive from stars
2 : an emanation of spiritual or moral force
3 a : the act or power of producing an effect without apparent exertion of force or direct exercise of command b : corrupt interference with authority for personal gain
4 : the power or capacity of causing an effect in indirect or intangible ways
*********************************************
Dear Mr. Andi,

While I would do anything for you, I must refuse your request below. I do this for your own good. You must trust that the closer to the center of Boston one comes from, the more one knows.
Mr. Andi - I am looking out for you!

I explained in your wife's comments
"Well, I will reluctantly go along with this on one condition.....you agree to spend the time you save showering attention on my good friend Mr. Andi!
Say it with me........"Honey, let me go get you a beer, so you don't miss any of this Sox game!"
Seriously I know you are just moving on to bigger and better things. I wish you fair winds and following seas
."

You came over here to report
"Maggie - day one isn't going so well. Tonight I said, "Honey, I'll take a beer" as Andi was passing through the living room, but she just kept walking. Clearly, I have my work cut out for me. I'll send her up to you for some training if progress isn't made soon.
Don't worry - I'll take good care of Andi. Well, when the Sox aren't on, that is!"

I must say no. I am the LAST person you want training anyone, much less the wonderful Andi. I am more of what you would call a "corrupting influence"!

But keep at it. I know you will take good care of our Andi. Remember, you are my absolute-without-a-doubt-favorite blogger spouse!

Go Sox!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Well, I'm all for a little corrupting. We could just let Mr. Andi think it's "training."

I think when Mr. Andi comes home from work he will be pleasantly surprised. I bought him some of that new Miller Chill today to see if it pleases his tastebuds. I may not be fetching his beer for him, but at least I'm providing it. Plus, having the lime brewed in with the beer means less lime-chopping. Ahhh - there is a method to my madness....

BostonMaggie said...

Good thinking! You might not need much corrupting at all.

Although you will have to find some way to entertain him yourself tonight - no Red Sox game scheduled.

I'm sure you'll come up with something.

Anonymous said...

Andi's right, the beer was waiting in the refrigerator, we've just got to figure out how to get it from there into my hands. Baby steps.

I'll still send Andi your way. Even if she comes back corrupted, I'm sure she'll come back a Sox fan, so I can live with that.

BostonMaggie said...

Well, it would be more fun if you brought her and we could all meet for a drink.

Anonymous said...

Well, he's definitely better off asking you to corrupt her than to ask me. Even if I did give him cigars in DC :) I've been married a loooong time and I still don't fetch! lol

BostonMaggie said...

SK - Fetching....LOL!

Anonymous said...

Okay fine. We'll just make it a big ole party. SK, please bring the cigars - Mr. Andi loves them. I'll bring the wine and Maggie can bring the laughs.

BTW Ms. Maggie - Mr. Andi and I attended the Sox/Orioles game this past Saturday. Needless to say, Mr. Andi walked away a very happy man....