Sunday, July 29, 2007

The YouTube Debate

Last night after I left work (and a quick pitstop at Walmart and Jen's house) I went home to do mountains of laundry (smelly, messy boys!). I put on a rebroadcast of the YouTube Debate on CNN. I had the volume up pretty high because I was walking back an forth in the house. Putting the shopping away, moving the laundry along, putting away the dishes. Of course, the whole time I am "participating" in the debate, lol. I am shouting derisive remarks at Obama. Asking Gravel when he has to be back to the home, telling Hilary to tone down that fake cackle. Calling them liars and idiots. And, God help me, agreeing with Joe Biden. Everytime one of those idiots said something singularly stupid and Biden called him on it......I had to agree with him. It nearly kills me. Dodd, for example, a tremendously stupid man who was spanked by Biden and later by Obama

QUESTION: Dear Presidential Candidates, see those three flags over my shoulder? They covered the coffins of my grandfather, my father, and my oldest son.
Someday, mine will join them.
I do not want to see my youngest sons join them.
I have two questions. By what date after January 21st, 2009, will all U.S. troops be out of Iraq? And how many family members do you have serving in uniform
?

COOPER: Senator Dodd.

DODD: I have advocated, again, that we have our troops out by April of next year. I believe that the timeframe is appropriate to do that. I would urge simultaneously that we do the things we’ve talked about here, and that is pursue the diplomatic efforts in the region to at least provide Iraq the opportunity to get on its feet. But I believe our military ought to be out before that.

If I’m president in January, I’d be advocating a responsible withdrawal that’s safe for our troops who are there, to provide the resources for them to do it.

As I mentioned earlier, I served with the National Guard and Reserves. My brother served in the military as well. So, in my family, there have been at least two that I’m aware of. I have first cousins of mine that were submarine commanders. My uncle was a commander in World War II in the Navy. So there have been a number of people in my family.

COOPER: So you’re saying that by January 21st, 2009, all U.S. troops would be out...

DODD: Well, no, I’ve argued that it actually happen before then. I’ve been pushing...

COOPER: Right.

DODD: There were 11 of us back when the supplemental bill came up a few weeks ago that voted to cut off that funding here. There’s no other way I know to bring this to a head than through that mechanism. So come January, I hope that would be completed.

(APPLAUSE)

But, if not, then I’d advocate a time frame that would be done responsibly.

Then they went to Richardson, a man who is even more irrelevent than Dodd. at least Dodd has some good scandals to fall back on from his drinking days with Kennedy when they used to molest waitresses in DC.

Then Biden weighed in, and heaven help us, it was common sense. You can be against the war, just acknowledge that cut-n-run won't work. Acknowledge that retreat will lead to chaos and destruction of biblical proportion.

COOPER: Senator Biden?

BIDEN: Number one, there is not a single military man in this audience who will tell this senator he can get those troops out in six months if the order goes today.

Let’s start telling the truth. Number one, you take all the troops out. You better have
helicopters ready to take those 3,000 civilians inside the Green Zone where I have been seven times and shot at. You better make sure you have protection for them, or let them die, number one.

So we can’t leave them there. And it’s going to take a minimum 5,000 troops to 10,000 just to protect our civilians. So while you’re taking them out, Governor, take everybody out. That may be necessary.

Number three, the idea that we all voted -- except for me -- for that appropriation. That man’s son is dead. For all I know, it was an IED. Seventy percent of all the deaths occurred have been those roadside bombs. We have money in that bill to begin to build and send immediately mine-resistant vehicles that increase by 80 percent the likelihood none of your cadets will die, General. And they all voted against it.

How in good conscience can you vote not to send those vehicles over there as long as there’s one single, solitary troop there?


Have I mentioned how much I hate it when Biden is the most reasonable voice in the room?

Anyway, I don't know how I survived the night. Anyone passing the house must have considered calling the police to break up the brawl if they thought there was someone there with me.........or men in white coats if they realized I was alone.

But I got a few nasty little giggles too. Like this one when Obama spanked Dodd.

QUESTION: Hi. I’m Cecilla Smith.

QUESTION: And I’m Asanti Wilkins.

QUESTION: And we’re from Pennsylvania, and my question is to all the candidates, and it’s regarding the national minimum wage.
Congress seems to never have a problem when it comes time to give themselves a raise. But when it came time to increase the minimum wage, they had a problem.
My question to the candidates: If you’re elected to serve, would you be willing to do this service for the next four years and be paid the national minimum wage?

(END VIDEO CLIP)

(APPLAUSE)

COOPER: So, it’s pretty simple, yes or no. Minimum wage, by the way, goes up tomorrow to $6.55. In 2009, it will be $7.25.

It's a silly, stupid question and pretty much everyone says yes....duh. The we come to Dodd (D- under a waitress at La Brassiere)

COOPER: Senator Dodd, would you work for the minimum wage?

DODD: I have two young daughters who I’m trying to educate them.

(Umm, English speaking, Dodd, have you try?)

I don’t think I could live on the minimum wage, but I’m a strong advocate to seeing to it that we increase it at least to $9 or $10 to give people a chance out there to be able to provide for their families.

Then Cooper tried to move on to that vacuous, preening example of southern breeding, Edwards and Dodd interrupts.

DODD: That’s leadership in the country.

I'm sure.

Anyway, down the line Obama call the question for the nonsense that it is and spanks Dodd.

OBAMA: Well, we can afford to work for the minimum wage because most folks on this stage have a lot of money. It’s the folks...

(APPLAUSE)

.... on that screen who deserve -- you’re doing all right, Chris, compared to, I promise you, the folks who are on that screen.

(LAUGHTER)

(APPLAUSE)

DODD: Not that well, I’ll tell you, Barack. (For the record Dodd' net worth is between $260,000-$682,000 according to the Washington Post.)

OBAMA: I mean, we don’t have -- we don’t have Mitt Romney money, but...

(LAUGHTER)

But we could afford to do it for a few years. Most folks can’t.
And that’s why we’ve got to fight and advocate for...


COOPER: Governor -- Governor Richardson, yes?

RICHARDSON: Yes, I would.

COOPER: OK.

Senator Biden?

BIDEN: I don’t have Barack Obama money either.

(LAUGHTER) - Again, I laughed too, it kills me.

My net worth is $70,000 to $150,000. That’s what happens you get elected at 29. I couldn’t afford to stay in the Congress for the minimum wage. But if I get a second job, I’d do it.

(LAUGHTER)

Biden actually does have a second job. His only reported income in 2006, in addition to his $165,000 Senate salary, interests and dividends, was $28,700 for teaching at Widener University in Pennsylvania.

So even though I scream and yell, it was interesting.

2 comments:

Rich Johnston said...

Barack Obama - Copacabana! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYJbKZlwM5s

BostonMaggie said...

Funny! I liked it, but why can't I see your profile? Humph!