Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Questions About the CNO Selection Process

******UPDATE 07/13/07******Nice! Listen you little bastids! What's the deal with reading and not answering? I see you navy.nil visitors. Someone emailed this post to a bunch of you. I can see that. I also see you are not answering my question!!! Hello! Do you know who I am? I demand you answer!
******
There has been discussion here and in other forums about Admiral Natham being a possible candidate. Some people have questioned whether or not he actually retired when he handed over Fleet Forces to Admiral Roughead(my horse in this race).

This article in the Navy Times indicates quite clearly that he is retired.

Invoking Willie Nelson for his ride into the sunset, Adm. John “Black” Nathman departed command of Fleet Forces and the Navy, handing the reins to Adm. Gary Roughead in a ceremony Thursday morning aboard the aircraft carrier Enterprise

So the question now is........does that rule him out as a candidate for CNO?

07/12/07 @ 1000****UPDATE****** LOL! Well this is really clear! So far I've gotten two answers.
Anthony, in the comments said yes, there is precedent. In answer to my question "Does this rule him out as a candidate for CNO?", Anthony says "Not necessarily, note that Rumsfeld recalled GEN Peter Schoomaker from retirement to replace GEN Eric Shinseki as Army CoS. It's really about what Gates, Mullen, and SECNAV Winter want from a CNO."

Last night, on the phone I asked The Ogre!!! (a recently retired Navy captain who is now active in shipbuilding) and his answer to the question "What are the chances of Nathman being brought out of retirement?" was a simple, definitve "Zero."

Well, I'm glad that got cleared up! Anybody else wanna take a shot?

3 comments:

Anthony said...

Not necessarily, note that Rumsfeld recalled GEN Peter Schoomaker from retirement to replace GEN Eric Shinseki as Army CoS. It's really about what Gates, Mullen, and SECNAV Winter want from a CNO.

BTW, I leave tomorrow for Phase I of OCS see you in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Nathman stays retired. Period.
SB

BostonMaggie said...

That's fine baby.....you're still going to lose. It's an acedemic question. I was just wondering about the process. My boy Gary is going to get it.

The "V" will be mine!!!!