Monday, July 16, 2007

July 16, 1969

The American flag heralded the launch of Apollo 11, the first Lunar landing mission, on July 16, 1969. The massive Saturn V rocket lifted off from NASA's Kennedy Space Center with astronauts Neil A. Armstrong, Michael Collins, and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin at 9:32 a.m. EDT. Four days later, on July 20, Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the Moon's surface while Collins orbited overhead in the Command Module. Armstrong and Aldrin gathered samples of lunar material and deployed scientific experiments that transmitted data about the lunar environment.

2 comments:

Vest said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vest said...

Born Friday July 16 1926, London Eng.
Married Saturday June 20 1953 in Johore Bahru Malaysia, to Rosemary born in Portsmouth Eng July 5 1934. Issue five sons. Married 54 yrs, live in Central coast NSW Australia.
Served in Brit Royal Navy 24.5 yrs. Migrated to Aus August 4 1971 from Eng July 5 1971.
Served WW2, Palestine, Korea, Suez, and minor sits.
Now retired, live a sort of middle class lifestyle - comfortable, love my wife passionately, have most of my faculties, a little deaf (sometimes helpful) IQ 125?.
little formal education - mostly self taught not a very good writer but have written my memoirs in psuedo form based on facts and a bit of skulduggery. Content with life and not in a hurry to go. I love stirring the can but also I have an overbearing sympathetic nature which would be the cause of our dropping down from upper middle class.
I spend too much time doing what I am doing now.
I visited Boston, Mass, also New London Conn amd Mystic?, during the Winter & spring of 1965, the year you started school.
Thank you for allowing me to comment here. LJB aka Vest daily Gaggle.