Monday, July 16, 2007

Gaslighting

This is a phrase my grandmother used to use when someone would move something and not tell you. You'd go looking for something and think you were crazy when you couldn't find it. Just when you were totally frustrated someone or another would say "Oh, I moved that ......" Your retort? "What are you gaslighting me?" As time passes and fewer and fewer people have seen the movie "Gaslight", the reference has become obscure. Today, it was exactly the word that sprang to mind.

As I posted (two down), I almost when to Battleship Cove for a book signing on the wrong day. How off was I? Oh.........a year! It is my fault for not reading the website clearly. When I emailed to ask if I could be on the list for their newsletter, I mentioned the mixup. The author, Brad Peniston emailed me. He said he was glad I hadn't gone and found no one there.

So today, I'm telling the girls in work and I bring up the website to show how I missed it. I wanted them to see that it listed dates, but no year, with future events at the top and previous ones below. But now the website shows the year. It clearly says July 15, 2006. Now the girls are laughing, "Sure, sure Maggie......."

I email Brad and ask if he is trying to make me look crazy. His answer? "Heh. Sorry. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Brad". Vindication! I show the girls. Then a few minutes later "I wonder if changing a web site is the new form of gaslighting. :) Brad"

Funny guy..............here's one who owes me a drink!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

We meet again...you have quite an interest in military history...been to Fall River twice for shows...have you been to N. Bedford and visited the Bethel?

BostonMaggie said...

I have not, Mr.X........when are you taking me?

BostonMaggie said...

BTW, I have quite an interest in all history.

Anonymous said...

Well, this forum allows us a bit more freedom...perhaps downtown some day nex week to discuss N. Bedford's Bethel?

Anonymous said...

Now there's a line. Come to New Bedford and see my Bethel.

Come to Central Mass and take a look a my Bethel.

Er, what the hell is a Bethel?

not really anonymous.

p.s. my bethel is longer

BostonMaggie said...

Mr. X - How will I know it's you?

GB - Jealousy? That's another of the deadly sins.........what's your score? So far that's two out of seven.

Anonymous said...

There's so many peeping toms around, get a life fellas, I know life if tough listening to Carr and Severin, but Maggie and I must be about our business.

Maggie, Monday July 30th 5:30pm somewhere between Pru and Boston Common does that work?

Anonymous said...

So many sins, so little time.

Would write more, but I'm feeling rather lazy for now...sloth, you know. May I call when I get to lust.

;-)

gb

BostonMaggie said...

Mr. X - I will just stroll up and down Boylston Street randomly asking men........"Mr. X?" "Excuse me, are you terribly cynical?" "Pardon me, do you think I'm foolish to work hard and vote Republican?" "Excuse me, do you hate Howie Carr?"

GB - I am more than happy to keep score for you. Do you have any virtues I should be tracking as well? We want a balanced picture here.

Anonymous said...

I'm saddened Maggie, thought you would be creative enough and clever enough to complete the rendezvous with a suggestion that only you and I could interpret... Being young you mistake my realism for cynicism, being politically lonely you cling to imposters like Carr and Weld...and yes I do think your foolish to work hard for the R's...they are taking advantage of you and your friends...Good Night, sweet princess.

Anonymous said...

Gentlemen, gentlemen!!!

And I use the phrase quite loosely...

This bickering is both unseemly and lacking in the dynamics that would grant either of you so much as a glimpse of the finely turned ankle of Her Highness...

I recommend a cessation of such behavior, as she has issued her beckon call to her favorite BGAM to restore order (via sitting upon certain miscreants), and he had Mexican(s) for lunch... Be warned...

G.

Anonymous said...

Just to clear up any confusion or misconceptions. Maggie will not be meeting either of the "gentlemen" who have been debating the virtues of N. Bedford vs Central Mass. Nor will she be meeting anybody "somewhere between the Pru and Boston Common". Save your breath and energy for other endeavors. Out here.
SB

Anonymous said...

As I thought.
SB