Sunday, December 31, 2017

Called My Dad Today

I waited until the game ended, but I forgot about the 5th Quarter.  Not that my father is any great talker on the phone.  He's talkative enough in person, actually very social, someone you want to sit with at a party.  Always a joke or story, doesn't let anyone sit isolated.  But the phone?  Forget it.  His responses usually amount to "Yeah.  Yeah.  Yeah-yeah.  Is that it?  Here's your mother."

I would have called anyway, it's New Year's Eve.  My opening remark was "Can I call back at midnight?" He was paying so little attention he said "Yeah.  What?  No!" and then started laughing.  "Mummy and I haven't seen the ball drop in years!"   It always slays me when he refers to her as "Mummy" like when I was four or five.  My mother was sleeping so I'll try again tomorrow.

But really I called to hear his voice.

Today on Twitter, @IowaHawk, a really witty smart guy posted that he lost his father.



No comments: