Thursday, May 28, 2009

God I Love Sailors!

I love their swagger. I love their attitude. Especially those forward leaning ones!

Taylor Kiland of the Navy Memorial thinks some of them might be interested in some of what I blog. I am going to guest post over there. You know, like stuff about where I will be on 04 JUN 2009, hehehehe!

You know I am big pimping on the Charlestown Navy Yard/USS Cassin Young/USS Constitution Battle of Midway anniversary observence. I got an email from someone who might bring their uncle who fought at Okinawa....I said "Yeah, bring him!"

So the first Lone Sailor Newsletter about my guest posting came out today. I can see traffic coming over from it.

Then I get an email -

Maggie
I was wondering how come no mention of a couple other famous ships from the bay state at the battleship cove that were built or home ported in Boston I too grew up a stones throw from the rope wharf (REVERE) I am a plank pwner on the U.S.S. Massachusetts BB59 aka "BIG MAMIE" Also the ole Joe Kennedy DD850 a Gearing class destroyer is there as is the lionfish a diesel sub from WW2 and 2 PT boats as well as many othe exhibits this june6 "BIG MAMIE" will holding her 63rd continually held crew member reunion no other ship can claim thatabout 50 60 original crew should be on hand it also has boy scout and school kid sleep overs on board it also has a jr Marine corp there and a ham station too"BIG MAMIE" thanks to the former crew members and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is in exlnt shape looks like she is in port for a visit rather than a musuem
thought I'd just put mt 2 cents worth in I just found abot you and you can bet I'll visit your page more often now

Bob C now of CA but my heart belongs in Massachusetts
For those that,Fought for it,Freedom has a taste and meaning,The protected will never know!


I love it! I replied -

I am being scolded! You would scold the fierce and powerful Princess Crabby???????????
LOL, I will put something up tonight my dear.
Maggie


So, I better get at it, huh?

7 comments:

eager said...

I am a WWII sailor about old enough to be your grandpa but just had to thank you for letting me know there are still real women out there America can be proud of. I knew one in Somerville that I will never forget! God bless you!

BostonMaggie said...

Well then you should come join me at the Charlestown Navy Yard on 04 JUNE 2009 at 1100!!!!

Anonymous said...

MAGGIE
i GOTTA ADD WHEN "BIG MAMIE' WAS FITTING OUT IN MAY OF '42 AT THE BOSTON NAVY YARD WE HELD OUR SHIPS DANCES AT THE HOTEL STATLER IN DOWNTOWN BOSTON THE CITY OF BOSTON REALLY TOOK OUR SHIP N ITS CREW TO THE BUSOM MOST OF US WERE JUST 17 -19 YR OLDS MANY WERE FROM MASS AREAITS A TIME MANY OF US STILL TALK ABOUT AT THE REUNIONS AND ALSO THE FUN WE HAD AT THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD AT THAT TIME REVERE BEACH ASK ANYONE IN THEIR LATE 70S OR 80S JUST HOW MUCH FUN ONE COULD HAVE IN REVERE AT THE BEACH
LIKE JOHN SAID THANKS FOR BEING A REAL BOSTON GAL!

BOBC

BostonMaggie said...

Charlestown Navy Yard!

It's the Charlestown Navy Yard!

Anonymous said...

hi I am bobc i cant seem to post only by anonymous
Maggie in the 40s and 50s into the 60s there was the boston navy yard annex it was at D street in southie it also had a drydock big nuff for A/C and battleships right out side of the main gate was the famous Fargo bldg ask any sailor of that area about the fargo bldg about Charlestown navy yard! did you know at one time the rope wharf there supplied all the hemp and manila lines for the entire U S N all sizes from 5" hausers to 1/4" lanyards

BOBC
For those that fought for it, Freedom has a taste and meaning, the protected will never know!

Anonymous said...

No comments about the USS BOSTON? Charlestown Navy Yard was our home port from 1959 to 1970.

1200 guys in blue dating Boston-area girls... I remember several...

BostonMaggie said...

You guys are killing me!! You won't be happy until I quit my job and do nothing but blog about the Navy allllll day.

Wait!

That would be awesome!