Sunday, November 23, 2008

Timing In Life Is Everything!

Today is day two of the drug free week. I feel great! Just in time for my 30th high school reunion.

I had a great time in high school and have never missed a reunion. I've talked to a lot of people on the subject of high school reunions and I am always surprised at people's attitudes. I am in the minority, most people seem very blase about them.

Of course I am very lucky. When our senior class president didn't pull anything together for the 5th year another classmate took over and has been running them every five years since the 10th. Jim Odian sets up a venue, finds us all and has pictures to prove what a good time we all have. Pope John's class of '78 owes Jim Odian a great debt.

Someone in work asked if I'd be telling people about the cancer and I was surprised at the question. That would be the last thing I would bring up! My heaven's, you are there to have a good time and catch up with old friends. Imagine - "Hey great to see you! What's new?" and I say "Oh, stage IIIA multiple myeloma!" LOL.....I'd rather not go. But I did wonder if anyone might know anyway. I am not the only one who still has parents in Charlestown and some of my classmates have siblings who were classmates of my sisters and brother. So there was the chance someone would know, but it never came up.

Instead, people asked how I was and I said "Life is good." Because it really is for the most part. There were people there tonight who have had such heartache and I really am quite lucky. One of my favorite saying is "If we all stood in a circle and threw our problems into the middle.....you'd take your own back".

One of my classmates had emailed me right after the announcement was made last spring. She asked if I was going and I said "But of course!" I watched for her to show up as I talked to other people and moved about the bar. Finally after a half hour I caught up with Jim and asked if she was coming and he told me no. I guess I should have paid more attention. I just assumed after the email she would show. She'll be getting an email from me!! LOL

Out of a class of 208 students there were about 80 or 90 of us there. I had a really good time and lasted far longer than I could have on one of my other weeks.

Thanks Jim!

3 comments:

LargeBill said...

Glad you had fun. Oddly enough even though I've never been to one of mine, I have gone to my wife's last three (20, 25 and 30). The sad thing is realizing each time around that less folks are still with us. My father-in-law graduated in 1934 and for their last reunion they just reserved a table for lunch.

Stella by Starlight said...

I'm so glad you went. So what if people are blase about high school (I am, admittedly). It sounds like you have a wonderful time and I'm so happy you're in your drug free week. Talk about perfect timing.

You had a lot of people show up. I'm surprised someone asked you if you were going to talk about the cancer: seems like an odd question when you're going somewhere to enjoy yourself.

The best doctors in the world are Doctor Diet, Doctor Quiet, and Doctor Merryman.
~~Jonathan Swift

Have a good week!

Stella by Starlight said...

A present to feel even better.