Friday, May 18, 2007

USS Spruance and USS William P. Lawrence

Destroyer names honor heroes of Vietnam, WWII - Navy Times

A well-respected admiral known as much for his integrity and dignity as for his accomplishments, and one of the greatest naval tactical commanders of World War II will be commemorated by two new Arleigh Burke-class destroyers to be built for the Navy.

Names for the USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110) and USS Spruance (DDG 111) were to be announced May 11 by Navy Secretary Donald Winter. The choices continue the recent practice of applying well-deserved new names and perpetuating classic ship monikers for the Navy’s destroyers.

H/T to Steeljaw Scribe who has a great post up on this

4 comments:

Ron Simpson said...

Spruance deserves a bigger ship. A Cruiser or something. He was too important a figure in WW2

BostonMaggie said...

YOU ARE CRAZY!

Here at this blog, NOTHING beats a TinCan.

Trust me Spruance is very happy.

Ron Simpson said...

why does wnting a cruiser for him make me crazy? I know the tin cans are integral parts of any fleet deployment, but (remember, I am Army) they are sooooo small. I think a big old Segis Cruiser would be a nice thing to have his name.

Anonymous said...

If I recall Spruance had his own tin clan class in the 50s/60s. I agree Spruance rates a Carrier ala Nimitz