Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Bottom Line

The Armorer has a very interesting post up at The Castle.

On the Democrats, Republicans, and the waging of the war.

He starts off:
I've made no secret of the fact that I was very uncomfortable with invading Iraq.

I, on the other hand, was fully in favor and continue to believe that it was the right thing to do (poorly executed, yada, yada,yada). Could this be why Sgt. B refers to me as despotic?
If you are new here and want to say that it's easy for me to say that when it isn't impacting me.......I have two sons (and my two extras) who are of draftable age and the military is a frequently discussed option among them. One or more of them will end up in the military.
SB is prepping for his 3rd tour since 9/11. The favorite Naval consort will pack my heart (my teeny, tiny, atrophied, black, shriveled heart) into his seabag and head for the Sandbox. So.......it impacts me.

That said, the Armorer and I are in complete agreement here.

It doesn't matter how we got there. It doesn't matter how you think you were lied to. It doesn't matter if you think there was a connection between Sadam and Al—Qaeda. The only thing that matters now is that both Al—Qaeda and Iran and the terrorist groups they back and inspire believe that Iraq is their decisive battle. They have chosen it as the place where they will defeat America, and unlike the Viet Cong, they will not stay put. They will follow us home.

Go read it. It's very good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read that yesterday and for the most part, I agree with him 100%. But like you, I've believed in it from day one.

And like you, I'm impacted as well, in 2 different ways. The daughter of old friends was on Flight 11 on 9/11. And my dearest friend's nephew will be sent there by the end of the year. If we don't take it to them, they'll just come back here only 10 times worse.

Also read in a recently declassified document that OSB was looking to establish a base in Iraq to stage further attacks on American soil. As long as we are there, hopefully that won't happen.

Anonymous said...

Um - sorry, that should be OBL for Osama....

Anonymous said...

To be fair to Dan Gordon - he wrote the part that Maggie quotes as agreeing with 100%.

Not me. I was just quoting him.

8^)