Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Some Smiles From The Past

My Google Group often presents timely and insightful topics. But sometimes it's just fun.

Yesterday Chuck wanted to make a point about advertising vs. education so he asked us to name - without Googling - the 3rd ingredient in a Big Mac, then the 3rd amendment to the Constitution. Of course, this is easy for our group, but it brought back a funny memory from Pope John.

In the mid to late 70s Mcdonald's ran a campaign where people would recite the Big Mac ingredients really fast - "Two all beef patties, special cause, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun!". My friends and I would practice saying it backwards. Kathy could do it really well, but then again she could sing "Life Is A Rock". I found it was good for calming the nerves before a pop quiz that one hadn't studied for.....which, for me, was all pop quizzes!

Then - and again I think this was Chuck - there was picture posted of Mr. Peabody & his boy Sherman.

Back in '80/'81, when I sometimes covered the last real switchboard in the New England Telephone & Telegraph Division of AT&T, a man called to order new phone service. He was moving north of Boston and actually needed the Peabody office and I told him that. "What? Where?" he stuttered. "You need the Peabody central office" I replied.

He asked me if I ever watched Rocky & Bullwinkle when I was a kid. Now it was my turn to be baffled. Why would a grown man ask me this? I said yes and then he asked me who was with Sherman.

"Mr. Pea-body"

"And the town I need to call?"

"P'b'dee"

He laughed and said I was charming.

1 comment:

wolfwalker said...

That ol' Boston accent. Heh.

He laughed and said I was charming.

Well, you are.