Saturday, June 20, 2009

Ok, So I Know I Am Missing The Point

Yahoo runs this story....

California girl gets dying wish to see movie 'Up'

It's sad and I want to say to the Pixar people - "Good on you!"

But this line drove me crazy -
"Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April.

"It was from then on, she said, 'I have to see that movie. It is so cool,'" family friend Carole Lynch said.

But the girl's health began to deteriorate. On June 4, Curtin asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair so that her daughter could go to a movie theater but the chair was not delivered over the weekend, Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby was too sick to go anywhere."

WTF - over?

My company is the medical equipment supplier for the local hospice. They would not have waited an hour to get that wheelchiar. My hospice people have my friggin' cell phone number! I am in awe of the hospice nurses. I have no idea how someone does that day after day and I would extend any possible effort for them.

They call to order equipment and they convey clearly what is urgent and what is not. But even if it was not urgent.....you don't wait five freaking days for a wheelchair!

Being the hospice supplier is no money maker and their requests are often more time sensitive and complicated than other orders......but good God! It's the least we can do!

When they call and say "Ok" and hesitate because they are going to request something out of the norm, my answer is always the same "Tell me what you need."

No comments: