Monday, December 10, 2007

December 10, 1936

As with any fairy tale, it is best not to look too closely. When I was young, I knew none of the back story and I hadn't seen too much of Edward and Wallis. Fleshed out by my vivid imagination, this was quite the most romantic story.

In 1936, Britain's King Edward VIII abdicated to marry American divorcee Wallis Warfield Simpson. His brother succeeded to the throne as King George VI. This is the day he signed the abdication instrument. The next day he gave his famous farewell speech. You can listen to a snippet of his speech here.

At long last I am able to say a few words of my own. I have never wanted to withhold anything, but until now it has not been constitutionally possible for me to speak.

A few hours ago I discharged my last duty as King and Emperor, and now that I have been succeeded by my brother, the Duke of York, my first words must be to declare my allegiance to him. This I do with all my heart.

You all know the reasons which have impelled me to renounce the throne. But I want you to understand that in making up my mind I did not forget the country or the empire, which, as Prince of Wales and lately as King, I have for twenty-five years tried to serve.But you must believe me when I tell you that I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.

*sigh*

The rest of the speech is here.

Now, here's the funny part. If SB took one moment away from Duty to give to me......if he even once put me before his men......LOL, I would not want him! He would not be SB, he would not be worth the effort. I wonder what Wallis thought? Honor. Duty. That's everything.

No comments: