Thursday, December 27, 2007

Benazir Bhutto 1953-2007


I have been glued to the BBC for the last few hours. I can't figure out why I am shocked. There have been attempts on her life since 1979, the odds were against her. She was killed in the city where her father was hanged.

On another note, the BBC never disappoints.....they managed to take a swipe at the Bush Administration. They pointed out that we shoulder some blame since we were "hot to have Bhutto there working with Musharraf. The Bush administration saw Bhutto as a liberal, democratic, anti-extremist voice." After all "many questioned why she left the comfort of London and Dubai". So, if you follow that logic, Bhutto would be safe and happy in Dubai if it wasn't for "W" making her put herself in harms way.

It is a tragic and strange end to an extraordinary life.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I have to say, I was feeling pretty queasy about this all day yesterday. I realize I'm a bit selfish in feeling glad that my son is in Iraq right now instead of Afghanistan (can't help it). I don't know how bad things will get over there, but this is certainly a catalyst type of event.

Start praying hard for all of our military sitting right next door to Pakistan - things are certainly not going to get easier for them in the coming weeks. *sigh*