Sunday, January 30, 2011

Timing Is Everything, Mr. Hornfischer

So every Naval history buff loves James Hornfischer's "Last Stand of the TinCan Sailors". I am no exception. He has a new book coming out "Neptune's Inferno".
I got an email from him about it last month. So I knew there would be a book tour. And there is. I knew there would be a Boston stop. And there is. Mr. Hornfischer's parents live in Framingham. So it only makes sense that he is appearing at the Framingham Barnes and Nobles.

Great. Right? I will go and meet him and get my book autographed.

No, it's February 8th. The day after I go into Tufts/NEMC for my stem cell transplant.

I sent a letter of protest. You know I am not kidding. It's a Maggie-centric world.

Anyway, if you are in Framingham, you should go and hear him speak. I am sure it will be worth the trip.

1 comment:

wolfwalker said...

"No, it's February 8th. The day after I go into Tufts/NEMC for my stem cell transplant."

Arrgh. My sympathies.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go either -- Feb 8th is a weekday, therefore a workday.

I will have to look for that book, however. The Navy at Guadalcanal is one of those Legends that only get better with repeated tellings. Although in some ways it also gets worse, as more evidence emerges of the Navy leadership's astounding incompetence.