Sunday, September 20, 2009

Moline Blaylock Ripley

Moline Blaylock Ripley
Moline Blaylock Ripley died at her home in Annapolis, Md., on Saturday, September 12, 2009, from natural causes. She was 68. Moline Ripley was born in Bluefield, W.Va., on December 7, 1941, daughter of Arnold Vincent Blaylock and Edna Pais Blaylock. She was raised in Radford, Va., attended Radford High School and graduated from Madison College in 1964 with a degree in home economics and secondary education. Upon graduation, Moline Blaylock married John Walter Ripley, also of Radford, Va. Moline Ripley was active as a Marine officer's wife, Interior Designer, and mother of four. She was a gracious hostess and the consummate southern lady. She was devoted to her role as a Marine Corps officer's wife in peacetime and war, showing compassion and providing help to families around her.

As an interior designer, she was tremendously skilled. In her career she cultivated numerous private and commercial clients to include the historic home of the Commandant of the Marine Corps at 8th and I. Like many military wives, Moline became the head of the household and sole parent during the lengthy deployments of her husband. The driving force in her home, Moline took great pride in the successes of her children and husband. Her expectations were high and unwavering. Mrs. Ripley is survived by a twin sister, Marcella Blaylock Zimmerman, of Nashville, Tenn.; her four children, Stephen Ripley, of Annapolis, Md., Mary Ripley, of Annapolis, Md., Thomas Ripley, of Annapolis, Md., and John Ripley, of West Palm Beach, Fla.; and eight grandchildren.

The family requests that in lieu of flowers, memorial donations be made to the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation, 10 Rockefeller Plaza, Suite 1007, New York, N.Y. 10020. A memorial service will be held 9 a.m. on Friday, September 25, 2009, at the United States Naval Academy Chapel. Visitation will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. on Thursday, September 24, 2009, at John M. Taylor and Sons Funeral Home, 147 Duke of Gloucester Street, Annapolis, Md.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I never had the pleasure of meeting Mrs. Ripley or her late husband Col Ripley. But I am proud to have their daughter Mary Ripley for a friend. I posted this to share with you this lovely tribute to Mrs. Ripley. I would be there Friday if circumstances allowed. I will think of this family as they bury their loved one and raise a glass.

Thank you for sharing your mother with us, Mary, Thomas, Stephen & John. I hope you find peace in the memories of a life well lived.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary posted this on Facebook & this comment struck me - "A warrior's heart is only as strong as the woman who loves him. The stronger the woman, the stronger the warrior's heart."
~~~~~~~~~~~
UPDATE 11/10/09
People are finding this post because they are searching Google for information on a book written by Norman Fulkerson. The contents of said book distort Col Ripley words. Mr. Fulkerson has done Col Ripley an injustice. Please boycott this book. Please read this post instead.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this post, although I only met Moline once I feel like I know her very well. This is due the fact that I just finished writing a biography about her husband, Col John Ripley. It is titled An American Knight The Life of Col. John W. Ripley USMC. Thanks again,
Norman Fulkerson
pco@juno.com

Christina Caloca Westmoreland said...

It has been nearly 30 years I was in high school. I had the pleasure of getting to know the Ripleys while I was a student at Stuart Hall Prep School. I'm saddened by reading of her passing today. Mrs. Ripley was a gracious and kind hostess. She was obviously a very devoted mother, and loved her family. I know she leaves behind many who will dearly miss her, and may they be at peace and know she is as ever watching over them.

BostonMaggie said...

I thought about removing Mr. Fulkerson's comment in light of the family's feelings about the book. But then it would stay in my cache. So instead, I will counter it with a link to my post.

http://bostonmaggie.blogspot.com/2009/11/abusing-heros-memory.html