Sunday, December 03, 2006

Today In History

Here's something that always aggravated the living shit out of me about the Pilgrims.

...in 1658, Plymouth Court ordered that any boat carrying Quakers to Sandwich be seized to prevent the religious heretics from landing. A year earlier, Quakers in Sandwich had established the first Friends' Meeting in the New World. Magistrates in both Plymouth and Massachusetts Bay colonies were alarmed by Quaker teachings that individuals could receive direct personal revelations from God. To protect orthodox Puritanism, the courts passed a series of laws forbidding residents from housing Quakers. Quakers themselves were threatened with whipping, arrest, imprisonment, banishment, or death. But driven by conscience, some Quakers repeatedly returned to Massachusetts to preach; four of them, including Mary Dyer, went to the gallows before a shocked King Charles ordered an end to the hanging of Quakers in 1661.

The Pilgrims came to America for religious freedom and were so intolerant of others religious freedom. Don't get me wrong, I know how aggravating it is to have someone try to "help you get right with God", but hanging? Of course it doesn't happen much in Boston, lol. I am already with the majority. It's funny to be on this subject at this moment. I am on my way to the shower to get ready for Mass and CCD. Don't worry, as I've said before, 4th grade CCD is Old Testament, so I end up teaching history and geography. I'm not damaging young minds.

And, of course no one needs Mass more than a vengeful, belligerent tart like myself!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is your Advent wreath set up?

BostonMaggie said...

You know, somehow that is something that managed to escape me this year. IU'll have to do better next year.

AFSister said...

I think that happened because the Pilgrims wanted religious freedom, and they say this person as trying to force a religion upon them. Granted, I think it's wrong... but you have to consider their mindset at the time.

BostonMaggie said...

Wait! You want me to be tolerant! Cut it out! You know everyone should just do what I want.

Anonymous said...

I'll do as I please! Hanging of Quakers ended up outlawed and the putitans turned to burning "wiches' at the stake. Somebody is always going to get the short straw!
SB