Thursday, December 21, 2006

Extremes

Several things I have read today made me say hmmmmm. A few brought on a stronger response.

First - One that made me say YES!
Go over to the Castle and read today's Motivator.

Now the one that made me say "You fucking asshat!"
Virginia Rep. Goode to Constituents Warning of Muslim Immigration
"I do not subscribe to using the Koran in any way. The Muslim Representative from Minnesota was elected by the voters of that district and if American citizens don't wake up and adopt the Virgil Goode position on immigration there will likely be many more Muslims elected to office and demanding the use of the Koran."

My response?
Hey you moron! There are (and have been) Muslims fighting and dying in the GWOT. You disgrace them with this statement. I am horrified that there is an R after your name.
I thought twice before I mentioned this because I normally feel that this sort of behavior is best left under the rock it came from. However, in this case I am toooooo angry. Even before you revealed what an ignorant bigot you are, I supported Rep. Keith Ellison's right to use the Koran at his swearing in ceremony.

A better and more eloquent response came in the form of an editorial in the Roanoke Times.
"Aaah, values and beliefs. Would those include hypocrisy? Goode's constituents should now ask: How can one swear to uphold the Constitution while denying its protection to all Americans?
And Ellison is an American, born and raised in Detroit before emigrating to Minnesota to attend law school. His faith doesn't define his citizenship, and Goode should be embarrassed to equate the two.
He might wish to get his xenophobia checked before returning to Washington."

SB called me when this first came up a few weeks ago and asked my thoughts. Of course what came out of my mouth was what was in his mind, we are the only two peas in this pod. I said "Baby, that's what you fight for." He replied "Thank you."

1 comment:

VIPER1 said...

I gotta say, some of it I agree with Maggie, But some of it I dont.

I'll let you decide which..

*ducks*