Tuesday, December 12, 2006

T. F. Boggs

I read about this guy over at the Castle. I liked what he had to say. So did Bill Kristol on Fox News Sunday. I am a little behind on my television yelling (when I watch political shows there is lots of talking back).
We cannot appease our enemies and we cannot continue to cut and run when
the going gets tough. As it stands in the world right now our enemies view
America as a country full of queasy people who are inclined to cut and run when
things take a turn for the worse. Just as the Tet Offensive was the victory that
led to our failure in Vietnam our victories in Iraq now are leading to our
failure in the Middle East. How many more times must we fight to fail? I feel
like all of my efforts (30 months of deployment time) and the efforts of all my
brothers in arms are all for naught. I thought old people were supposed to be
more patient than a 24 year old but apparently I have more patience for our
victory to unfold in Iraq than 99.9 percent of Americans. Iraq isn’t fast
food-you can’t have what you want and have it now. To completely change a
country for the first time in it’s entire history takes time, and when I say
time I don’t mean 4 years.Talking doesn’t solve anything with a crazed people,
bullets do and we need to be given a chance to work our military magic. Like I
told a reporter buddy of mine: War sucks but a world run by Islamofacists sucks
more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately for those of us in the service of our country, Americans are far too used to instant gratification. Over the years we have become impatient as a race and is shows in our attitude towards diplomacy and foreign policy. If it does not happen immediately, then way too many Americans want to quit. In some respects we have shown ourselves to be unable to accept combat casualties. They are an unfortunate by product of war. War really is not a video game. It is flesh, blood and bones and not pretty. How would the current American public have reacted if they had instant access to the battle on Iwo Jima or the Normandy landings of WWII? I shudder to think!
SB

BostonMaggie said...

You say instant gratification like it's a bad thing!