Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Tonight's Lecture

Tonight I attended a Lowell Lecture Series lecture at the Bostonian Society. The Lowell Institute sponsors lectures all over the city. I have attended science lectures at the Museum of Science and nature lectures at the New England Aquarium, current events lectures at The Old South Meetinghouse. But the historical lectures at the Bostonian Society are my favorite. Tonight's topic was Stephen Decatur and the lecture was given by Robert Allison, the author of "Stephen Decatur, American Naval Hero, 1779 - 1820". I have heard Mr. Allison speak before and knew it would be interesting.....plus, I'm a Navy girl, doncha know.......

I bought two copies.........one is autographed with a nice sentiment to SouthieBoy.......the other says "To Maggie, who is prettier than SouthieBoy"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still havent mailed you my tax stuff. sorry. I know this will put you under the gun. I expect you can use some of those WH , DoD, DefSec and ASCAP connections to keep the taxmen off my back. bastards. I know everyone must think Im a bum because you still do my takes, but Strick's mom still does his laundry AND his car insurance. so I'm whats called (dunt-dadunt-DA!) comparitively responsible

BostonMaggie said...

It's SecDef, lol! You are a bum. What the hell is ASCAP?

Anonymous said...

American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers.

aka, the Musicians' Union.

They're probably still sore that my IMU card counted for union membership--couldn't tag me for dues or usage fees back in my old bar-gig days...

Heh--"connected" has kind of a different connotation down here in Joisey.

Anonymous said...

Oh, all right--I wouldn't want you to stay upall night wondering.

IMU = International *Maritime* Union. And no, I didn't wear a sailor suit.