Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Pics From USS Constitution's Underway Demonstration

Sunday, July 4th was the annual turn around cruise for Old Ironsides, also known as the Underway Demonstration. This was my first time being on board for it. I have been aboard a million times. I have been aboard when she was underway (last October for her birthday celebration). I have been there to watch her sail, but it was from the pier near USS Cassin Young.

It was more fun than words can express....but maybe a few pictures will help! This is USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 as we were gliding past. She was docked in South Boston on the North Jetty.
Most of these pics were taken by my friend Mercedes, her husband is USS Constitution's XO, LCDR Savage.
Who had the best view? Well it would be these Sailors, wouldn't it? Constitution Sailors are in red, it's part of their period uniform, on the far left is Command Master Chief Twiford. I believe those who are not in red are from the USS Hawes FFG-53 and Anthony Costa is in red on the right.
This is our view of Fort Independence on Castle Island in Southie. After the 21 gun salute there was all this noise from the spectators and the surrounding vessels.
Fleet Master Chief Howard, Airman Michael Fleck & Command Master Chief Twiford on the Fighting Top! This pic is from Airman Fleck's FB profile...Thanks Mike!
Zoom in....a little more...see me? I am aft on the port side!
Thank you CDR Cooper......Command Master Chief Twiford....and the entire crew of USS Constitution!

No comments: