Thursday, December 10, 2009

Somebody Wanna Get Me A Glass?

Yeah, I know it's not even 9 am. Yeah, I know Jen & Grace and lots of others will tell me I brought it on myself.... I just finished listening to The One's Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech - text here.

There was some humility, -
"Compared to some of the giants of history who have received this prize — Schweitzer and King; Marshall and Mandela — my accomplishments are slight."
.....that was good.

However, I got heartburn when he compared himself to Pope John Paul II

"Let me also say this: The promotion of human rights cannot be about exhortation alone. At times, it must be coupled with painstaking diplomacy. I know that engagement with repressive regimes lacks the satisfying purity of indignation. But I also know that sanctions without outreach — and condemnation without discussion — can carry forward a crippling status quo. No repressive regime can move down a new path unless it has the choice of an open door.

In light of the Cultural Revolutions horrors, Nixons meeting with Mao appeared inexcusable — and yet it surely helped set China on a path where millions of its citizens have been lifted from poverty, and connected to open societies. Pope John Pauls engagement with Poland created space not just for the Catholic Church, but for labor leaders like Lech Walesa. Ronald Reagans efforts on arms control and embrace of perestroika not only improved relations with the Soviet Union, but empowered dissidents throughout Eastern Europe. There is no simple formula here. But we must try as best we can to balance isolation and engagement, pressure and incentives, so that human rights and dignity are advanced over time."


Seriously? The Pope? You talking to Iran is like the Pope going to Poland? And people talk about my giant ego.

Obama sprinkled in some re-writing of history where he insinuates that we went into Iraq alone and unjustly. Whatever.

And then of course, there was this continued nonsense -
"That is why I prohibited torture. That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed."
Yeah, you prohibited torture, except you didn't. You retained the right to authorize "harsh interrogation techniques" and CIA detentions.

But they will just say - "You turned it on, Maggie. No one made you listen."

Where's my glass?

9 comments:

Boquisucio said...

After such a conceited and self-centered gloatfest, I think we all need strong Irish Medications.

http://www.reuters.com/news/video/story?videoId=11885988&videoChannel=1

Yer Marine said...

You forgot the part in the WP speech where he tells how America has begun a new relationship with the Muslim world....

Anonymous said...

He didn't compare himself to the Pope. Or Nixon either. He simply raised some historical situations we can use as lessons for right now.

You probably should be more upset with W. More Americans have gotten Nobels because of him (Carter, Gore, the Big O) than for any other reason.

BostonMaggie said...

Anonymous -

Did he say...."I am just like the Pope." - No.

What he did was discuss his efforts vis a vis "engagement with repressive regimes". Who does he mean here? Iran. Then he gave examples. The Pope was the example.

How else should I take this?

Why would I be mad at "W"? Because he peeved the Norwegians? Or the Euro-weenies?

LOL!!!!

Not hardly baby!

I love "W" more every day.

Anonymous said...

Love you too Maggie but darn he's the POTUS. If he ain't gonna learn from a master like JP2 and how he dealt with the Evil Empire who do you want him to learn from? He's paying attention to the history books. And he kept Secy Gates right next to him. Good move.

As for W he did let Osama get away because he had some crazy oedipal issues with the Iraquis. I don't miss him at all.

BostonMaggie said...

No one admires the courage and forgiveness of Pope John Paul II more than myself. I will forever be in awe of the fact that he forgave Mehmet Ali Ağca. And as a Catholic I have no problem saying that his actions as Pope are beyond question with me.

However, my President? That's a different standard. I question and have questioned Bush. I have criticized them all. I will continue to do so.

Also, he doesn't bring up the Pope in the part of the speech where he discusses who he aspires to be like. That was earlier when he mentioned "Schweitzer and King; Marshall and Mandela".

He brings up the Pope in the part where he compares his own actions or proposed actions to Nixon & the Pope. Different thrust in that part of the speech.

As far as "W" letting OBL "get away".... what tired nonsense! In any conversation I have about "W", once someone brings up that ridiculous charge I immediately pronounce the diagnosis - you have Bush Derangement Syndrome.

BillT said...

...and yet it surely helped set China on a path where millions of its citizens have been lifted from poverty, and connected to open societies.

Millions? Gee, that only leaves about 1.3 *billion* still living in the Asian equivalent of a midden heap, and who are more connected with open pit latrines than with open societies.

*More Americans have gotten Nobels because of him (Carter, Gore, the Big O) than for any other reason.*

Carter got the Nobel for bringing peace to the Middle East (worked out well, didn't it?), Gore got the Nobel for producing a PowerPoint slide show that is so full of lies that the Brit High Court stated it couldn't be shown to children in England without first telling them it was junk science, and Obie got the Nobel because the Scandinavians think community organizers are dreamy -- one of the prize committee probably said, "It doesn't make sense, I know, but it's very Swedish."

Lemon Stand said...

One day we are going to have to sit down and have that drink! I still don't know how to tweet but you can reach me on my email. (I just want you to know my kids are now laughing at me! (BTW, My Dad was born on 'D' street in South Boston)

BostonMaggie said...

So then your Dad knows all the words to "Southie is My Hometown!"

I got you on Twitter and linked your post.