Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Presents!

UPDATE - Go to this post to see some cool pics The Armorer dug up
Not just for Christmas! LOL Although the timing was almost perfect.You can not even imagine how unbearable it is to be in my vicinity. I am wearing it as I type this post. Someone in work wanted to "discuss" a certain matter with me and I said "Hang on a sec" and got out my tiara.

You know the Milblog Conference is April 9th and 10th....I'll be the one in the tiara!

It came with a very nice letter from fellow blogger B. Walthrop.

"As the self-proclaimed "Princess Crabby", and unquestionable female royalty of the Navy Blogosphere, I thought it right and just for you to have the crown you deserve.

It took a little longer than I anticipated to track someone down who was willing to part with their tiara, but I was finally successful.

While it is not the most beautiful headwear, the CDR/CAPT tiara is a pretty rare piece of kit, and I have no doubt that one day soon the uniform board will remove it from the Navy inventory. Up until 1972, this was the required headwear for female officers and chiefs when they got all gussied up in their "mess dress" uniform. In 1972, the tiara became an optional uniform item, and I have only seen one worn during my 14 year career.

I hope this finds you well and that you have the happiest of holiday seasons. Your work on behalf of the Navy is greatly appreciated, and you deserve to be "crowned" for your efforts.

Very Respectfully,

Benjamin Walthrop

26 comments:

K-Dubyah said...

We know you will wear it with pride!!

A well deserved recognition of your Navyness. Hey! That could be used for your name... "Presenting The Royal Navyness, Princess Maggie!"

:)

ParachuteCutie said...

I'm speechless. And probably best that way. LMAO

Congrats!

John of Argghhh! said...

a-HEM!

You are *not* "the self-proclaimed "Princess Crabby!""

*I* named you thus, and demand credit!

Princess Crabby is your Castle-name!

Boquisucio said...

Maybe that's what got the Petty Officer so P.O'd over at The Castle.

But seriously, that's a perfect accoutrement for Boston Mag.

Herbal said...

Congrats on the tiara, Princess!

That headgear is not easy to find.

BostonMaggie said...

Prob ably as hard to come by as an invite to a certain blog.

John of Argghhh! said...

I'm certain you are not talking to me, Princess Crabby - you have posting privileges and a standing invitation to the meatspace instantiation of the Castle.

AFSister said...

The COOLEST. EVER.

I want the Army version....

Herbal said...

If you mean my blog, you're missing nothing. It was awful anyway. I'm only doing FB at this point.

Yer Marine said...

You will look properly authoritative in it, I am sure.

Princess Maggie,

Regina mare suprema.

Pactum servae!

AW1 Tim said...

Oh man, Maggie! that is a wonderful addition to your wardrobe.
It's perfect for you!

Boquisucio said...

I agree AW1 Tim. All Maggie needs now is to accessorize her Tiara with some shoes.

I think that I've found the perfect pair of PUMPS for her.

BostonMaggie said...

"You will look properly authoritative in it, I am sure."

Really? You think? Maybe you should ask Mary.

Yer Marine said...

"Really? You think? Maybe you should ask Mary."

She says, with her best Lizzie Borden smile....

BostonMaggie said...

Lizzie Borden? We're going with more poetry?

Barb said...

That is perfect for you, Maggie :-) Very nice, and totally appropriate.

Kanani said...

Well, very cool. I suggest a dress with heels. Very high spikey heels you can throw at people who make fun as you twiddah.

BostonMaggie said...

LOL! You know why Twiddah is important, right?

Keeps you from being too in-sa-la!

FbL said...

Congrats!

You're going to be unbearable at the milblog conference!

BostonMaggie said...

Don't hate me because I am Regina mare suprema.

MaryR said...

Maggie,

I just saw your tiara! That.is.awesome. Totally cool and well deserved :)

Yer Marine said...

"GOING to be unbearable"?

(Ain't he the optimist!)

You twittah so's you ain't insalah.

Then yid be a loozah.

BostonMaggie said...

LOL! I don't know what's better...when you speak to me in the tongue of Mother Church or Mother Boston.

BTW, FbL is a she.

Thanks Mary, I only take it off the go to bed. I need to get a velvet pillow to put it on.

The Armorer was indeed the person to name me Princess Crabby. When we are together he calls me "Crabby" like it's my given name. And he gave me "Crabby gifts" when we were in Seattle. I accepted the name because the alternative was something about a cockroach. What choice did I have?

He has also dug up some cool photos of Naval officers wearing their tiaras and I must put them in the post.

And he's so smart! He picked out examples of women who are less attractive than I am, so I can say..."Here's what it will look like, but I am prettier!"

Thanks John!

BostonMaggie said...

TankerBabLC - You know you're not actually speechless....but you will be at the Milblog. You will be laughing your ass off when you see me!

SK said...

What an amazingly perfect gift for you!! You will look spectaculah the milconf. Can't wait to see you :)

Anonymous said...

The tiaras are awesome, but I find a female civilian wearing it to be just as appropriate as a civilian male wearing other official cover (how about the tropical pithe helmet, anyone?). (And a male civilian in a military tiara would be priceless but also not exactly right.) So sue me, I usually think I have a good sense of humor but the uniform and insignia are earned.