Saturday, June 17, 2006

Paul Barry's Wake & Funeral

Those coordinating Paul's services are expecting a huge crowd, no surprise there. The combination of his fellow Troopers, his considerable extended family (blood & in-laws), the tragic and public circumstance of his death, and of course, the simple fact that he was a genuinely nice guy, add up to heavy turnout. This would overwhelm a typical funeral home. The decision has been made, after extensive consultation between the family and the State Police, to have the wake as well as the funeral at St. Mark's in Dorchester. St. Mark's is the home parish for both Paul & Maryellen. In happier times, it was the church where Paul & Maryellen were married. It is the setting for so many happy events in the lives of both their families. Sadly, yet fittingly, Monday & Tuesday St. Mark's will be where we say goodbye.

I have been writing about this since Thursday (as long as I have been crying about it). I got an email asking if I knew Paul. I realize I have not made that clear. So let me be clear. I knew Paul Barry. It was my honor to have known Paul Barry. Monday and Tuesday I will join so very many other people and say goodbye to Paul Barry.

Monday will be an excruciatingly long day for Maryellen, Paul's family and Maryellen's mother and siblings. It will begin with private time for the family at 1 pm , followed by a "walk-by" for law enforcement officers and then public viewing until at least 8 pm. My heart breaks at the thought. Tuesday there will be the funeral and the burial.

Robert Kennedy once quoted the poet Aeschylus "Even in our sleep, pain which cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, until, in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom through the awful grace of God."

Paul's parish priest said the other night that people who knew Paul wanted to be like him. If that is the wisdom that comes to some.........to try and emulate Paul's life..........that would be a wonderful tribute.

No comments: