Saturday, May 13, 2006

This Day In History


Twenty five years ago today the Pope was shot.


This was the New York Times headline:

Pope Is Shot in Car in Vatican Square; Surgeons Term Condition 'Guarded'; Turk, an Escaped Murderer, Is Seized

2 Bullets Hit Pontiff

Part of Intestine is Removed in 5-Hour Operation

Hand Also Injured

By HENRY TANNER
Special to The New York Times

RELATED HEADLINES
Made Threat In '79: Alleged Assailant Wrote a Letter Saying He'd Kill John Paul on Trip

A Firm Papacy For the People: Pope Strives to Deliver His Message Worldwide

Infection Is Main Risk In Pontiff's Recovery; New Surgery Required

Amid Prayers, World Voices Its Indignation

For New York, Tearful Memories

ROME, Thursday, May 14 -- Pope John Paul II was shot and seriously wounded yesterday as he was standing in an open car moving slowly among more than 10,000 worshipers in St. Peter's Square


The rest of the article is here.

Most of the things I post about in the "This Day in History..... are not things I lived through. This was different. I was 20 and remember this vividly. I was always torn over the fact that the Pope forgave Mehmet Ali Agca. Yet, how could he do otherwise? People always surprise me when I view them through the prism of my views..., lol. They are always nicer, better people. I would not have forgiven him. I forgive very little. Then again, I know the Pope will not be on the eighth circle of hell with me.

No comments: