Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Dangers of Blogging

No, I am not talking about becoming a pale mushroom because I am addicted to blogging. I am talking about a serious problem - the persecution of bloggers in places where free speech is restricted. Foreign Policy magazine has some interesting information.


Curt Hopkins is founder and executive director of the Committee to Protect Bloggers, a nonprofit organization that works to safeguard bloggers’ rights and monitors the persecution of bloggers around the world.

Some blogs they suggest -
The Zimbabwean Pundit
and
Back Seat Drivers

The article is here.

*********Curt Hopkins has updated some of this information********
Curt said: "I've put the Committee to bed, alas. Just too much burn-out for one guy. But Global Voices Online is preparing an advocacy arm and Amnesty is finally getting in the game (a scant year and a half after Iranian blogges started getting arrested--well, better late then never I suppose); also Reporters Without Borders has an active online arm."

2 comments:

Gunny John said...

I've often had to bite my tongue when it comes to our politicians. I can fully understand why it's illegal for active duty military to speak critically of our CIC, but it's also a shame that so much is considered "speaking critically."

Curt Hopkins said...

I've put the Committee to bed, alas. Just too much burn-out for one guy. But Global Voices Online is preparing an advocacy arm and Amnesty is finally getting in the game (a scant year and a half after Iranian blogges started getting arrested--well, better late then never I suppose); also Reporters Without Borders has an active online arm.