Monday, October 12, 2009

Take a Minute

I don't know about where you are, but here in New England it is a picture-perfect fall day. It's a holiday. I've seen many people out enjoying the day - walking, biking, playing ball across the street. I myself, slept in after staying up late to read. I'll do a few things around the house and wander into work eventually. I have to square away things for my trip to Vegas for BlogWorld Expo.

But today is more than all that.

Take a moment to remember.

Nine years ago today, half a world away from my safe, secure life, 17 Sailors perished.

~~~
Previous posts
Non Sibi Sed Patriae
Thank you for Your Service, Command Lippold
Determined Warrior
~~~~
So take that minute, say a prayer.....do whatever it is you do in your secret heart or when no one is looking....

And then read this post and smile. Smile because you see that flying that ensign from the USS Cole caused those Sailor's hearts to swell with pride. Smile because we are never going to forget.

Lastly, I never pass up the chance to say - Thank you for your service CDR Lippold.

4 comments:

Mrs. K said...

Can't believe 9 years have passed...

Stella by Starlight said...

I, too, am stunned that this event happened nine years ago. I don't know if you dug far enough through the links to see the U.S. Navy's U.S.S. Cole Memorial. To see this sobering site and become cognizant, thanks to your post, of the passing years leaves me speechless and reflective of that terrible tragedy.

BTW: Happy Leif Erikson Day (belated): "Leif Erikson Day is an American observance occurring on October 9. It honors Leif Ericson (Leifr EirĂ­ksson), who brought the first Europeans known to have set foot in North America."

Now, seriously, how could the all-knowing, venerable Maggie make such an error?

BostonMaggie said...

That's a great link Stella, I put it up on Twitter with a bunch of other sites.

Mrs.K will tell you that for us, first and foremost, October 9th is my Dad/Uncle Frank's birhtday, lol.

And everyone knows that America wasn't discovered by Columbus or Erikson....it was Saint Brendan!

Stella by Starlight said...

Interesting, dear Maggie. I looked up the info because I always understood that St. Brendan was here first.

The Catholic Encyclopedia comments there is no historical proof of this journey. According to Wiki, there is no historical proof of this journey. If it happened, this would have occurred sometime between 512-530 AD, before his travel to the island of Great Britain. .

I also think St. Brendan was the first European in America, but there's no definitive proof of his voyage to North America. Being the consummate diplomat, I will celebrate Leif Ericsson and St. Brendon Day together.

8^)